[3830] RTTY WPX VC3A M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, r_bakalov@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX VC3A M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 13:01:24 +0000
CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VC3A
Operator(s): N2WQ VE3AJ
Station: VC3A

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
   80:  314
   40:  809
   20:  774
   15:  139
   10:
------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Wow, what a weekend! 1500 miles driving to and from VE3, two major snow storms,
6.2M points, and a broken Canadian M/S HP record. Jim VE3AJ and I had a blast.

This was the simplest of M/S operations there is- 2 guys, 1 transceiver, 1
tribander, 1 40m yagi, and an inv-V for 80m. No mult radio, no in-band radio,
no antenna farm. In fact, the low OCF 40-10 dipole broke due to the heavy snow
and we had no US antennas.

We did rather poorly the first day, sitting at about 1M points. We didn't think
we would get even close to 5M points (the current record), let alone beat it by
another 20%.

The second 24 hours were much better and the last 5 hours were complete madness
as we were making 100K points every 20 min or so. Wish we had another couple of
hours to catch up with NV9L. Looking at the mult window at the end of the
contest it was pretty clear that we didn't work dozens of easy EU and SA mults.
 Too much running.

We established 3-hour shifts so that we both stay focused and enjoy the
different propagation changes during the day. Worked really well.

The station worked flawlessly. The little Icom 7300 is a gem and despite the
naysayers is a contest grade radio. We had no problem finding and keeping run
frequencies on any band, including the crowded 40 meters.

Obviously the bar for 2018 has been set much higher for us.

Big thank you to all the stations that did live scoring at cqcontest.net and
made the contest so much more fun (and motivated us to do better!). Many thanks
for all contacts and multipliers.

Rudy N2WQ