[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 03:46:51 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W6QU

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.9

  160:    0     0
   80:   12     8
   40:   63    26
   20:  109    54
   15:  107    50
   10:   40    20
-------------------
Total:  331   158  Total Score = 156,894

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
Well, conditions seemed better than for the WPX RTTY contest last weekend, but
maybe it was just that there were lots more participants. I can't compare my
results to last year because I had the flu back then, and my op time was only
13.3 hours.

All the equipment worked despite the big storm that came into southern
California on Friday evening. The SteppIR did rotate on the mast about 30
degrees in the wind, but I just reset the indicator needle on Sat morning.

I had one QSO that was my best by far. I woke up by chance at 3 AM this
morning. I started at the very bottom of 40 and there was XV1X calling CQ with
no callers. I seldom hear and never work stuff like this with my HF-2V and 3
radials and 5 watts. I was still groggy, but I called him and he came right
back. I always wonder if stuff like this is real, and he hasn't uploaded to
Club Log yet, but I hope it's good.

Another good Q was working BG2AUE on 40 M. He has already posted to LoTW and
this Q is good. Only my second ever BY on 40.

160 M.  We had a big storm go through California, and I was not able to put up
my inverted L. Hence, no Qs on 160.

80 M.  After much trying, I finally got the guys at JA3YBK at sunrise this AM
for a rare Q with JA on 80 M!

40 M.  The XV1X Q says it all, but BG2AUE was a good one too. I never got into
Europe.

20 M.  I managed 26 Qs into Europe including an LZ for my only zone 20 of the
year.

15 M.  I got 16 European Qs here. Also E5 and A3 but they are in my back yard.

10 M.  There was some opening on Sat, and it got a lot better on Sunday. I
never heard Europe and only D4C in Africa. But 20 countries between NA, SA, and
Oc.

My DXCC was 70 countries and My WAZ was 24 without zones 3 and 4. I had 42 Qs
(13%) into Europe. This compares to 33% a couple years ago. 71% of my Qs were
out of North America (I like this stat which I saw in N1CC's QRP report last
week).

It was nice to see so many JA stations again. 68 (21%) of my Qs were with JA
stations!

One Q, like that XV1X, can make a contest worth it! A lot of what makes a Q
exciting to the op is that op's experience with their station and what it can
do and can't do. That Q was way outside my normal experience!

See you in two weeks for the ARRL DX SSB!  73,  Bill  W8QZA - W6QU