[3830] ARRLDX CW 7J1AAI(W1NN) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 7J1AAI(W1NN) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:10:53 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 7J1AAI
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: JH1GTV

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Koganei city Tokyo
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:
   40:  573    51
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  573    51  Total Score = 86,139

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Thanks to Shige, JH1GTV for hosting me again at his fine station. He is an
excellent host, bringing coffee, tea and even a sushi dinner!  And his station
is also excellent:  3 el yagi at 120' and ICOM 7851 + Kenwood TL922 @ 1 KW.

This was a tough year to be SB40 from Japan.  Compare the above score from my
claimed scores from 2009 and 2011 and you will see what I mean.

2009  712 X 50 = 106,800
2011  822 X 50 = 123,300

In the past I have had rates as high as 93/hour on in this contest, but this
year my best hour was 60.  Only three hours were over 50 and only six were over
40! This makes for a pretty boring weekend.  I tried to keep busy using the
sub-receiver on the 7851 during the short periods between my CQs and I did work
20-30 stations this way, but I think most of them would have called me anyway.

Most Zone 4 and 5 stations were really weak, and rapid QSB made things doubly
difficult.  W2FU has a great station but it took me about four tries to copy
his call.  Even K3LR was weak.  I could tell that there were quite a few really
weak callers, but I just couldn't pull most of them in, even though there was
not much noise this year. It never felt like the band ever opened properly to
the northeastern part of the US.  FL, GA and AL were pretty loud. Activity from
the rest of the country also seemed down.  Maybe they were busy on other bands.

I managed to work 46 states, missing only NE and MI.  I guess MI is the new SC,
which years ago was pretty rare.  Have all of the Michiganders gone south?  In
recent years, KY has been tough to find in a lot of contests but this year I
must have worked over 10 of them.  Among the Canadian provinces, I only heard
and worked VE3, VE5, VE6, VE7 and VY1 (two of them!).  And of course I missed
DC as well.

Maybe next year?

73, Hal W1NN/7J1AAI

The above figures do not include 36 dupes.  I guess a lot of people copy my
call as ZJ1AAI.