[3830] ARRLDX CW GW4J(GW0ETF) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW GW4J(GW0ETF) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:06:05 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: GW4J
Operator(s): GW0ETF
Station: GW4J

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

  160:
   80:  161    41
   40:  363    42
   20:  453    55
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  977   138  Total Score = 404,064

Club:

Comments:

My plan evolved over the weekend. Always part time and started as low band 40/80
from midnight Friday till breakfast time then sleeping and 'jobs' until early
evening Saturday. 80m was the better band and impressed with my dipole. Back on
40 early evening but very quickly bored with lack of new stuff to work so
suddenly decided to switch off, get a normal nights sleep and then spend Sunday
afternoon as fresh meat on 20m. Great move for the enjoyment stakes and most of
my points were collected on Sunday afternoon and evening as even 40m came alive
again later; I'm sure this contest attracts lots of 'let's see what we can work
after Sunday lunch' casual NA contesters. I find it's a good idea to cq at a
slower speed occasionally at these periods when it slows as you often pick up
slower more casual ops whose calls are not in the scp; I don't understand those
that continue at breakneck speed with these guys and then have to repeat their
calls over and over.

Dipole for 80 @45ft, single vertical for 40m and a dipole at 30ft for 20m - K3
and Acom 1K. Lack of directivity puts you properly at the mercy of the EU key
clickers and there were plenty of those. My few hours on 20 missed ND, NE, ID
and WY plus Canadian NT, NU, YT and surprisingly Alberta.