[3830] ARRLDX CW N2IC SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N2IC SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:34:00 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 41
Radios: SO2R

  160:   49    24
   80:  213    62
   40:  788    92
   20:  953   103
   15:  695    98
   10:   77    32
-------------------
Total: 2775   411  Total Score = 3,421,575

Club:

Comments:

Well, a far cry from 4400+ QSO's just 3 years ago, but still a fun weekend !

20 and 15 meters teased all weekend to Europe. Both days, both bands opened
with a bang, only to whimper out less than 2 hours after sunrise. 15 opened
deeper into Europe on Sunday, but the opening was shorter. Amazed at the number
of big guns who called me after the band had closed, and were barely copyable.
For example, it took several tries to pull through RU1A, the only Russian
worked on 15.

Thunderstorms to the east on Friday night made 80 and 160 horribly noisy. My
NE, E and SE beverages all run steeply down a mountainside and a cliff, and
have a very poor pattern as a result. Only the NW beverage stays on fairly
level ground, and you can really tell the difference. For a change, I felt
receive-limited this weekend on 160.

Saturday night was "exciting". Slept from 01Z-05Z. When I woke up, it
was snowing heavily. The corona noise was S9+ on all bands, but the beverages
made listening acceptable. Then I went to transmit on the 80 meter wire beam,
but the SWR was off-scale. Heavy, wet snow shorting across the ends of the
wires ! The pièce de résistance was losing AC power at 0630Z, just as 40
warmed up to Europe. Back to bed. To my surprise, power came back on at 0810Z.
Kudos to PNM, our local power company. I really wasn't expecting power until
well after sunrise.

Best QSO's were being called by XV2A on 20, XV1X and 5R8SV on 40, and C5YK and
5T0JL on 15.

A few stats:
# JA = 999
# EU = 1149

This is probably about as good as it gets for us in the SW USA during the
sunspot minimum. This score is significantly higher than my scores from the
last sunspot minimum.

73,
Steve, N2IC