[3830] ARRLDX CW P40R(@P49V) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW P40R(@P49V) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:10:23 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: P40R
Operator(s): NE9U KK9K W9RE K1TO
Station: P49V

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: P4
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  441    56
   80:  830    59
   40: 1629    61
   20: 1975    61
   15: 1706    61
   10:  666    52
-------------------
Total: 7247   350  Total Score = 7,609,350

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Ron, KK9K and Scott, NE9U have operated together lots of times, including last
year on VP2M, and decided to expand the crew, adding Mike, W9RE and Dan, K1TO
for this year’s event.  Each of us have our strengths and formed a great
team, with Ron as driver/cook/low-band antenna guy, Scott as network expert,
Dan as tower climber and Mike as jack of all trades.  With four ops and two
operating positions (no partner mode), we all got plenty of sleep and down
time.

Huge thanks to Ben, DL6RAI for preserving the P49V legacy and continuing to
make this location available.  The house itself is laid out very well and the
three towers are well stocked.

Congrats to the KP2M team for a really solid M2 effort.  10M is the difference,
thanks to our more southerly location.  Many of the callers were ESP level
except for a half hour on Sunday when it opened wide.  Unfortunately, some
local noise crept up at the wrong time and spoiled the fun, but we were
noise-free for much of the weekend.

We missed the Pacific NW mults on 10 (WA/ID/MT/VE6/VE7).  Our last mult was WV
on 160. We had skeds with two guys, but W8LRL randomly called us at that exact
time remarkably.

We suffered from stuttery CW on one rig, realizing afterward that we didn’t
have the synthesizer board in that K3.

Several of us weren’t intimately familiar with Win-Test and struggled at
times, plus we had disparities between the logs that caused some after-contest
massaging, so these numbers are approximate.

We were disappointed in how often we were spotted as PV0R, causing many
assisted blind callers and almost 500 dupes.

Aruba is terrific in many respects, including long beaches and many good
restaurants in a warm, but less humid climate.  Driving on the right and using
the USD made it feel much like home.  We enjoyed several great group meals with
team P40L (W0YK, W6LD and hired gun HA1AG), P40W (W2GD) and P40LE (K2LE).

73, Dan