[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 03:07:15 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:   17    15
   80:  136    49
   40:  171    68
   20:  768    92
   15:  626    86
   10:   16    13
-------------------
Total: 1754   326  Total Score = 1,715,412

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a difference from the CQWW; this was a lot of fun and with many more
running hours! Conditions exceeded expectations except for 160 and 10 from my
perspective. Stations in the Northeast were working EU's on 160 I could not
hear. On 10, nothing was worked farther north than 8P, did barely find D4C. 20
was open well to all of EU the first 2-3 hours each day and western EU was loud
until mid afternoon with a nice fast paced "final run" Sunday of about
140 stations with quite loud signals from SP and HA westward. 15 was somewhat a
shadow of itself compared to higher SFI, but thanks to being spotted probably I
had very weak calls from OH0 and SM (oh thank heaven for RBN), never worked a LA
or OH. Thanks to RBN, every time I showed up on a new frequency until well into
the EU openings Sunday; I had a instant pile up within 10-30 seconds. On 15,
most of the rest of northern EU was workable at least for some short stretches.
Very strangely, I worked only one EU Russian on 15(UA3) despite quite a few
Ukrainians. I ran on 20 until the early run dried up and then went to 15 both
days. On Sunday, 15 sounded like a VHF band for about 20 minutes despite being
able to run southern EU at a decent rate, then the opening improved with louder
signals and USA stations moving in on my spot low in the band. Saturday in the
21Z hour I looked for Pacific DX having worked only KH7 and found several ZL's
(a KW station was in and out of the noise, all were not loud), VK2(poached),
E51, A3, AH2, and KL7. The big guns on 80 were booming in both Friday and
Saturday evening and I was thrilled to easily work A4 and JY on 80. Other than
JA's I found very little in Asia on 20 (UA0, DS, BA4) in the evening, but the
Caribbean/SA was in well into the evening on especially on Sunday. 40 was 40, a
bit frustrating for me, but at least southern/western EU was workable well in
the evening both days.

The XYL is quite disabled now and requires quite a bit of my help, and to boot
we had a fairly long drive to a medical appt. coming up on Monday, so I
operated as much as I could comfortably without pushing it too much. My last
QSO was just past 20Z Sunday, as the XYL wanted to go to a family dinner party
30 minutes away. Many thanks for all of the calls and Q's and I did as well as
I could with sometimes large pile ups (I am dealing with them better). It only
takes about 3 stations roughly the same strength calling on the same frequency
to blend into a unreadable monotone, so the key to getting through is calling
around 50-80 Hz higher(best) or lower.

TNX & 73, Jeff