[3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP9/W6PH(@VP9GE) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 20:29:26 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VP9/W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: VP9GE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 39.1

  160:  337    47
   80:  584    56
   40: 1030    58
   20: 1341    60
   15:  406    51
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 3698   272  Total Score = 3,017,568

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

IC7000  Win-Test 4.23 (CT on steroids)
160  Dipole at 30 feet
80   Dipole at 25 feet
40   Dipole at 28 feet
20-15 Cushcraft A4S at 30 feet

I did this much more casually than in previous years. This was my 18th
consecutive year for the ARRL's in Bermuda.  At age 75 I'm starting to lose the
energy and motivation that I once had.

It is evident that we are near the bottom of the solar cycle.  This is the
first year that I can remember where I didn't work a single station on 10
meters even though I checked the band often.  I never heard a single station
other than a couple weak back scatter stations who couldn't hear me.

Fifteen meters acted like 10 meters with spotty propagation to diffeent areas
of the US.  It was only open to the northeast in the morning but everyone was
busy working Europeans and couldn't hear me.  I missed several northeast states
and provinces.  Because of the small foot print, my rate on 15 was dismal but I
had to be there.

Twenty and forty were the money bands.  Even though the 40m dipole is low it
really kicks butt.  Both bands had great rates.

I have a severe S9 noise problem on 80 meters.  We have not been able to solve
it and I have to manually move the antenna switch to 160 for receive to bring
the noise level down to S4.  I could use a third hand to do this.

The most difficult state continues to be Nebraska with North Dakota close
behind.  I never heard VY1 even though I was told that they called me on 20m.
I was called by VO2AC on two bands but didn't have the presense of mind to make
a schedule later in the evening.  I had to ask for QSY's to fill in some of the
blanks on 15 meters and these were completed successfully by going to 21088.

I tried to sign my call often, at least no more than three contacts without
signing.  It seemed to work all right.  Late Sunday a pile up formed on my CQ's
who were all dupes.  Either there was a bad spot or a good mult on my frequency.
 I sent my call three times slowly and the pileup disappeared.  Cluster clickers
need to confirm the call of the station they are calling.

I have to thank my host, Ed, VP9GE.  He is a fantastic guy and bends over
backward to make sure everything is okay.  I also need to compliment my IC7000
which I have used continuously since 2006 without a single hiccup.  It is the
ultimate expedition radio considering size and performance.  I bring it as
carry-on.  TSA seems to be more concerned with my Vibroplex paddle than the
radio.

I will be back for the ARRL Phone.

73, Kurt W6PH