[3830] ARRLDX CW NA8V SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@bmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NA8V SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:02:40 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Mi
Operating Time (hrs): 38
Radios: SO2R

  160:   46    31
   80:  189    65
   40:  587    79
   20: 1063    93
   15:  262    66
   10:   21    15
-------------------
Total: 2168   349  Total Score = 2,269,896

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Great weekend.  Got off to a bad start.  I had done a rewiring of the shack to
incorporate the amp.  Preliminary testing looked ok but one I got going there
was some smoke and a bang.  Took out the glitch resistor.  Considered falling
back to LP but decided to do repairs and carry on as HP.  With 37 contacts in
the log, got going again at 0357z.  I was really depressed as the bands were
all quite good and one never knows when/if condx will go in the sewer.  Since I
only have one amp (a venerable Raytrack) that doesn't have 160, I was LP on that
band.

Since I had such a poor start, I stayed up later than I wanted.  Slept about
1.5 hrs for my first break about normal but the timing was a little off.  20
was just fantastic.  Broke a very good run to go to 15 which also was quite
good although not much at all from Russia and Scandinavia - which was true on
all the bands except 20.  When 15 died, went back to 20 which continued to be
quite good into mid-afternoon.

Saturday night spent too much time on 80 and 160 trying to make up for what I
missed day 1.  Condx on those bands weren't nearly as good but they were open.
Slept 4.5 hrs, more than planned.  Got to party a little late, 20 was again
very, very good.  Had 1000 Q's there in my sights so stay longer than I should
have, when I went to 15 there wasn't much left.  Was quite surprised when UA9BA
called in at 1700z.  Thought/hoped that might signal an afternoon Scandinavian
opening but that didn't happen.

Never really got much over the pole on 20, there was a decent JA opening Sat.
evening.

Given the conditions, it would have been nice to have a better score but all
things considered I'm quite pleased.  Was quite a treat to feel loud again.

greg/na8v

TS590sg + DX2000L (800w)
TS850
10/15/20: 2xTH6 78/39ft; TH3 47ft