[3830] ARRLDX CW W3HKK SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3hkk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3HKK SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 06:03:48 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: oh
Operating Time (hrs): 11.65

  160:   21    16
   80:   59    42
   40:   89    58
   20:   92    56
   15:   74    43
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  338   218  Total Score = 219,744

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Planned to work mostly s&p on 160, 80, 40, as   my trusty TenTec Centurion
amp  blew a fuse  in the CQ160m contest a few weeks ago and is still in the
shop.

Conditions  were   decent on Night 1, but declined as the evening wore on.
That was made up for by surprisingly good propagation on 10-15-20 Sat
afternoon.
Sunday I slept a lot as well as  honoring a promise to take the xyl to a
Broadway musical in the afternoon.

Rig:  IC7600 (100w) ANTENNAS: 52 ft vertical leg, 1/4 wave inverted L's   with
far end at 18 ft, plus 23x65' radials for 180/80;  a pair of phased 40m ground
planes with bases at 8 ft and five qtr wave elevated radials; a pair of phased
ground planes for 20 and 15m with four elevated radials; and a simple GP for
10m.

Best bands were 20-40-15-80-10 in that order.  Nice to work VP6EU Pitcairn
Island on 80!

160m produced just 15 countries, including EI7M, OM3GI and then CR3W. So
clearly,  EU was quiet.  Hawaii (KH7M, KH6LC) and KL7RA, helped, but no Asians.
and  the rest were good sigs from Carribean and  C.A stations.

The  SAL-30 rx antenna was used exclusively to pull out the dx on 160-80-40m.

80m was an abundant source of  dx, along with 40, 20 and 15m.

The 75 yr old motor wasn't as strong as in the past so I managed just 11.65 hrs
 on the air, with very little "running"  was done,  since I was
barefoot.  Still,  the large number of open bands made it fun, and  pretty much
a one day event for me this year.