[3830] ARRLDX CW NP2N M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW NP2N M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 16:18:39 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NP2N
Operator(s): W2VJN N3RD K4XU
Station: NP2N

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: VI
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  331    51
   80: 1113    60
   40: 1346    60
   20: 1697    61
   15: 1693    60
   10:  236    45
-------------------
Total: 6416   337  Total Score = 6,477,477

Club:

Comments:

After having so much fun in last year's M/S, George W2VJN and Dave N3RD decided
to up the fun factor and do a M/2 in 2017.  This was George's fifth year of
sending NP2N, (thanks George O), and the first for Dick, K4XU.

The VA6AM triplexer and matching bandpass filters allowed us to use the T6 log
on two bands simultaneously, and worked extremely well.  An added benefit was
the very low phase noise generated by the K3S and the K3 with the new
synthesizer boards.  With the addition of coax stubs, there was essentially
zero interstation interference.  The second amplifier was an SPE 1.3K-FA, an
amazing piece of gear, which performed flawlessly.

We decided to do shifts of 4 hours on, 2 hours off, and this schedule was
strictly adhered to.  Consequently, the three operators had the same number of
contacts.  The two hour off periods did not results in 2 hours of sleep,
obviously, with the net result that we had 8 periods of sleep/rest of
approximately 90 minutes each.  We hit the bands hard when operating, and were
amazed that at the end of the contest we were all coherent!  Maybe there is
something to this “90 minute power nap” thing after all.

We were a bit too close to the US for 10 meters, but when the band opened to a
particular location, the signals were huge, such as from stations in the
FL/AL/MS/LA/TX/OK region.  Ear splitting signals, after digging out very weak
CA or NV stations.  There’s no meters like 10 meters, even when conditions
are down.

The bands 15-80 were work horses for us, especially 15 during the day and 40
during the night.  When 160 was open, signals were strong.

Antennas:  Teledyne T6 at 35', dipoles for 80 and 40 at 30’, inverted L on
160 (30' vertical wire).

Radios:  K3S, K3, AL-1200, SPE 1.3K-FA, VA6AM HP triplexer/BPFs.

73 - George/W2VJN, Dave/N3RD, and Dick/K4XU