[3830] ARRLDX CW IZ3NVR SO Unlimited QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, menon.ste@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW IZ3NVR SO Unlimited QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:03:12 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: IZ3NVR
Operator(s): IZ3NVR
Station: IZ3NVR

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: JN65
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   46    18
   40:  113    31
   20:  217    46
   15:  178    39
   10:
-------------------
Total:  554   134  Total Score = 222,708

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

It was definitely fun. Expected conditions to be much worse than what I
experienced but, as many of you noticed, either activity and/or propagation
made the difference.

The preparation for this contest started much in advance with the erection of
the antennas. Most of the antennas of my setup are "field-day" style
for the major contests due to the fact that I am constrained and cannot keep
them in place for longer times.

It's an hard work but the fun of operating the contest and working the various
stations pays back. I would obviously like to just hit the switch and be
contest ready but as of now I need to run coaxes and such.

This year I had many improvements over last year. The threebander was higher, a
4el 20m wire yagi was in place and I had the inverted L on 80m while last year I
basically had a dummy load on low bands. All of these improvements were
definitely worth it. 80m played well with some new states for me as well. No
secret I am trying to reach 5BWAS even if it will take quite some time. Heard
quite some but either they were at noise level or they simply couldn�'t hear
me. A pity for IL (K9CT). He was a real S9+ on sunday morning and dropped
little by little but never could rise his attention. Remarkable the fact that
he kept being audible, albeit S0, until almost 9am local.

I went assisted this time and this helped a lot over last year. I could simply
ctrl-down in N1MM and jump on the spots of the close by RBN. If someone had
pileup I just skipped to the next one and so on. This allowed for many more
contacts than last years where I ran non assisted. Best band, as usual, 15m.
Incredibly quiet and source of many contacts. I would not give up this band for
anything. Worse band: 40m. I saw some RBN spots of other contesters likely in my
category and being skimmered while �"running�" on 40 and I got
frustrated. I will probably need to rethink my 40m antenna situation but since
I don�'t like it too much as a band it�'s always down in my priority list.

Didn�'t bother to erect the 4L 10m and saved time as well as some back pain.
Never really moved a radio there but had an SDR feeded with a vertical (this
one is always on the roof) to watch if there was some activity. Always seen a
blank screen when I watched it.

Thanks to everyone that heard me. I don�'t think I�'ll be able to be active for
ARRL SSB but maybe I will hand out some points with 100W and the vertical. Next
contests on the list WPX SSB and CW.

Stefano IZ3NVR

RTX:
FT-950 @5W