[3830] CQ160 SSB PJ4DX Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB PJ4DX Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:45:04 +0000
CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 131  State/Prov = 38  Countries = 28  Total Score = 84,150

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Amazingly low level of static the first night, but poor conditions. I could hear
people well but apparently the high noise level in the States meant they could
not hear me. Many, many stations were called without success. Calling CQ was
fruitless, I think I worked less than a handful of stations after calling CQ;
the rest were all search and pounce. It was much noisier here the second night
and conditions also seemed poor until about midnight local time (0400UTC) when
things improved and people started to hear me.

I'm using a quarter-wave inverted-L with a few elevated radials and no separate
receive antenna. Despite this, on both days I was hearing stations way better
than they were hearing me, which leads me to think I need to improve the TX
antenna (a lot!) Thanks to all those ops who struggled to copy my call, one
letter at a time, and after numerous repeats. Those who gave up after getting a
partial missed out on a multiplier as there were no other PJ4s active.

Congratulations to the following stations who have great ears and heard me
after just one call: UA2FZ, OK7K, SN2M, W0AIH, K1VR, RW2F, EW6W, DL5RBW, EA3PT
and EA1DR. DL5RBW was the strongest European at well over S9, but only peaked
for a short time. LY4A was audible from just after my sunset until just after
his sunrise, but was really, really difficult to work. Got him in the end,
though. OK7K was also a very good signal for hours.

Hope to have a better signal next year.
73
Steve, PJ4DX