[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 18:01:13 +0000
Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 314  Total Score = 975

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I did a little Beverage maintenance to make sure I had a working
Beverage to point in a southerly direction.  The strategy is to listen
to the 2 phased arrays for easterly and westerly signals and watch
the P3 for southerly signals.  The north has to take its chances.

The evening started reasonably quiet around 2320Z.  Signals were
strong and S51V and EI5KF came by right at sunset with strong signals.
After about an hour or two, the band started to get noisy.  Not as bad
as the night before and not as bad as a summer Stew, but nevertheless
annoying.  Also, the background impulse noise (white speckles on the
waterfall) in the direction of Europe seemed higher than normal.

I took a short break at 0325Z that became a long break.  I figured
that I missed about 20 QSOs.

I heard KV4FZ work several Europeans that I could plainly hear.  I
think LY2FN called, but he was thoroughly buried in the noise.  I
found PA5KT buried in the noise while tuning.  F6EYD called and
getting his grid was nearly impossible.  OZ7YY called but he was
fairly easy to hear.  UA2FF was moderately difficult.  G3VOA was the
last European at 0608Z.

The west coast was weak until about 0500Z.  Then they became stronger.

I took a 3+ hour nap at 0700Z.

JH1HDT called at 1056Z followed immediately by JH1RES.  They were my
best DX.  No VK or ZL or any other Pacific besides KH6ZM heard.

DX worked: CO, EI, F, G, HI, JA (2), KH6, KP2 (3), LY, OZ, PA, PJ2,
S51, and UA2.

Equipment: K3/100, P3, 8410, K3/10, homebrew SO2R stuff, 2 phased
array / SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages (only 1 used), "tee"
antenna 65 feet tall over 75 radials.