[3830] LaQP NO5W RoverMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] LaQP NO5W RoverMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 18:27:44 +0000
Louisiana QSO Party

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W W5TUF
Station: NO5W

Class: RoverMixed LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:      5                  5
   40:    264                 39
   20:    192       7         39           4
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:    461       7         83           4  Total Score = 162,946

Club: Jefferson ARC

Comments:

K3/100, HI-Q 4/80 antenna, 2002 Pathfinder, CQ/X 1.8.0.13, Streets & Trips
2013

This year Jim-W5TUF remarked at a club meeting that there were many parts of
Louisiana that he had not seen. We quickly developed a travelog for him and
fortunately he agreed to travel along with me in the LA QP, originally to share
the driving and operating but as it turned out he did all of the driving and I
did all of the operating -- next year we'll definitely get him to take a turn
in the operating seat. Many thanks to Jim for doing an excellent job of getting
us around the 450+ miles of the route with only two "diversions".

This was a QSO Party adventure that had a rather rough start. Everything had
been successfully checked out Friday before the party but, since I prefer not
to leave the K3 installed in the vehicle overnight in my neighborhood, Saturday
morning just before sunrise found me installing the K3 by the light of the
vehicle dome light. Having done this installation many times I can do it in the
dark but this time I managed to miss the power pole plug, not entirely but in
such a way that the red side of the supply got plugged into the black side of
the radio. At the time I did not realize my mistake and went happily across
Lake Ponchatrain to pick up Jim.

And away we went to complete the setup of the station on the way to our first
parish - Washington. Ah, what's this no power to the radio? Checking out the
connection, the error of my installation was apparent but of course the error
had blown a fuse in the supply. By this time it was about 10 minutes before the
start and I could not remember where my spare fuses were since they are rarely
needed. Fortunately there are two circuits from the supply, one (now dead)
dedicated to the radio, and the other dedicated to supplying the logging
laptop, an RS-232 GPS, and the antenna controller. Fortunately the Rig Runner
connected to the second circuit had a spare 25A slot so I was able to power the
radio from that connection. Unfortunately in the confusion we had missed our
first turn so we had some back tracking to do. After that things went smoothly
and we were able to activate all of the planned parishes and even made it to
our appointed beer and pizza date with Dallas-K1DW and Ted-KN5O at the end on
time.

The QSO party was painfully slow during the morning and early afternoon but
picked up later in the day. Conditions were strange, especially on 20m where we
had openings to Europe and Japan at the same time. We rarely work any JAs in our
QSO party rovering trips but this time JO7WXN went in the log in seven different
parishes. Here are some stats.

The following parishes were activated with indicated results:
Column Legend
1. County name
2. Number of QSOs from county
3. Initial ten-minute rate
4. First station in log

Column [1]      [2]   [3]          [4]
St.Tammany       53   126         KQ3F
Jefferson        42    96        W8WVU
E.Feliciana      31    54         KA7T
Acadia           25    96       ON4AAC
PointeCoupee     24    66       DL3DXX
St.John          23    96        W8WVU
Lafayette        22    78       DL3DXX
Orleans          21   108       WB0PYF
W.Feliciana      21    72         AA8R
Washington       20    42        W0EAR
Avoyelles        20    66       WA4KSO
St.Charles       19   108        W6OUL
St.Helena        18    96        KE0TT
W.BatonRouge     17    24       JO7WXN
St.Martin        17    66       DL3DXX
Vermilion        17    78       DL3DXX
E.BatonRouge     16    72       WB0PYF
Tangipahoa       15    54         KQ3F
Iberville        15    78       DL3DXX
Evangeline       14    48         KQ3F
Ascension        11    48       JO7WXN
St.Landry         9    36         KQ3F
St.James          9    48         N2CQ
Rapides           5    12        KE0TT

>From this you can see that Dietmar-DL3DXX was tracking us close enough using
the APRS display that he managed to be first in the log in 5 parishes. A close
second in that statistic was KQ3F. During the party we worked 156 different
stations and thank each of them for the Qs. Special thanks go to the following
stations who contributed more than half the contacts: N2CQ(24), KQ3F(18),
K0HNC(18), DL3DXX(17), N6MU(16), WB0PYF(13), WA8ZBT(12), AD1C(12), W0ZQ(11),
W8WVU(10), KC3X(9), JO7WXN(9), K7ZYV(8), N4JT(8), KE0TT(8), WE7G(7), W7GF(7),
W4SIG(7), N5PR(7), K4AMC(7), K0DEQ(6), K8MR(6), YV5OIE(5). There may be some
dupes in those results.

Even with the slow start and conditions that were not the greatest, it was a
fun party. Our next one, the MS QP, is coming up soon where Skip-W5GAI and I
will be sharing the driving and operating. So please listen for us operating
NO5W in a number of southern counties in Mississippi on April 1.

73

Chuck-NO5W
Jim-W5TUF