[3830] WPX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tomgeorgens15@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 23:57:54 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  185
   40: 1574
   20: 2010
   15: 1470
   10:   49
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Been a busy contest season but still wanted to make time for WPX SSB as it is
one of my favorites.

As reported, conditions were challenging.  With little propagation to
participation-rich Europe on 15, and none on 10, my QSO count was down about
1100 from last year.

Managed about 250 more lowband Q's this year to help the score, despite 80 and
40 being much noisier than usual.  Also, serious line noise toward Europe has
developed, impacting all bands.  The K3 noise blanker did a good job blocking
the pulses, but distorted the receive audio in the process, especially on
crowded bands like 20.

Despite it all, there were some memorable moments where the QRM parted and
there was a great opening behind it.  Some fun runs on 80, 40 and even a brief
one on 10 are what keeps me coming back.

Had to replace a rotor before the contest that had an indicator problem.  Also
the usual intermittent connections needed to be sorted out.  A few hours before
the contest I was doing a final audio check when I noticed interstation
interference on 80 when transmitting on 40.  It did not happen when
transmitting with the other radio/amp.  I had been operating with the Solid
State amp cover off since I had repaired a part at home and when I went to
install it, I was missing a cable.  I made a replacement but it interfered with
the cover and I did not want to stress the cable.  Believing that the absent
cover might be the issue, I decided to put it on.  In the process, I shorted
the 50V to ground.  A spark and a bang resulted.  Usually it takes 30 hours
awake to display such bad judgement, but this proves I can do dumb stuff fully
rested as well.  Fortunately, the power supply had overcurrent protection and
came right back with a power cycle.  The amp, and the rest of the station
worked well the rest of the weekend.  Found the interference problem after the
contest, replaced a coax cable but may have just been a loose connection

A fun weekend, but hard work

Thanks for all the Q's and again to my wife Kathleen whose help remains
indispensable

73, Tom W2SC

QSL via LoTW or NN1N