[3830] GaQP N1CC Single OpMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] GaQP N1CC Single OpMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 22:15:02 +0000
Georgia QSO Party

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:      3        0
   80:     12       10
   40:     45       42
   20:     19       19
   15:
   10:
    6:
------------------------
Total:     79       71  CW-Dig Mults = 44  Ph Mults = 36  Total Score = 18,320

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Station: Elecraft K3/100 @ 100W.  F12 C3 @64', 80/40 Fan Dipole broadside N/S @
50'. 160M Inverted L 50' vertical 128' horizontal with 8 elevated radials 64'
long each.  (Inverted L used on 40 Meters also, 80% of contacts on 40 using
this instead of the NS dipole.

The propagation gods were on vacation.  20 Meters, my normal "money
band" to GA was second best band with most contacts ESP on 20 as well. 40
Meters turned out to be the workhorse, but not with the normal antenna ...
tried the 43' vertical and it was no help, so the 160M Inverted L carried the
mail.Starting with SFI of 66 and SN of 27 and ending at SN =0 with high A/K
indices both days.  High solar noise level.

I did better last year on QRP... tried the first hour to run QRP, and then went
1o 100W for the rest of the way.  QRP just could not cut the conditions for this
location.

I found three of he rovers:  KN4Y (9), N0G (6) and KB4KBS (1). KN4Y and N0G
have superior ears, picking me out right away even though they were down in the
noise for me.  Sorry K4BAI/KU8E got "scrubbed" as a rover, however,
they both gave me contacts on 160 through 20 so they are "forgiven".
Hope the technical issues are easy to correct when not in the "heat of the
fray".

Did not hear any jamming this time, with the exception of some rather radical
folks on 7203 - whose cause is obliterated by the obvious lies they were
calling out as their beliefs, not in my good book for sure.  Hopefully we can
avoid them in the future.  Poor operators were not the problem with making
contacts, I daresay that those that could not hear me were having noise issues
that they could not handle.  I think the GA Elmer folks have done a good job
helping the "newbies" be good on the air!

When I called CQ, I made a few contacts.  However, during CQ's five non-GA
stations were added to my blacklist of poor operations.  4 Extras and a
General.  3 of the 4 Extras have been licensed over 15-years, and just don't
live in areas where Elmer folks exist or have a presence (W1, 5, 6, and 0).

Unusual observation:  On Sunday afternoon around 1945Z K4BAI had a 150 msec
echo on 20 Meter CW here, right after that on 40M CW he was stronger and no
echo...that points up something going on in the Ionosphere that really
inhibited higher frequency operation.

Cycle 25 is coming ... get out the cheerleaders and maybe it will hurry up!