[3830] MiQP K8BKM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thammond@chartermi.net
Subject: [3830] MiQP K8BKM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 15:33:39 +0000
Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 3:32

   80:   62     60
   40:   29     15
   20:
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:   91     75  CW Mults = 45  Ph Mults = 48  Total Score = 23,808

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Part-time operation as I just returned from a 2+ week business trip overseas and
I didn't think contesting was the best use of my time this weekend. However, I
really enjoy the MiQP because I like to work folks from different counties in
the upper and lower peninsula.

Conditions were really tough. I got on for the first hour and 40 was long. The
only stations I could work were locals in the counties surrounding mine, and
the most distant in the upper peninsula. Lots of out-of-state folks at this
time of day on 40. Took a very long break and came back in the evening to find
40 pretty much abandoned and worked another hour or two on 80 splitting time
between phone and CW. I only worked one mobile, K8IR/M in MACK, who responded
to one of my CQ's on CW. Never heard them again. K8MQP had the strongest
signals on the bands but I was also really impressed with the signal from W8PSP
in HOUG(Hancock according to QRZ.com). QRN on 80 was really bad from a line of
storms that crossed the upper lower peninsula. Switching to my receiving
antenna on 80 didn't help at all. Really had to pull out some weak signals
calling from out of state but thanks for your patience.

I was only on for 3.5 hours but activity really seemed down this year, probably
because of band conditions and because of the Easter holiday weekend. Having the
first 80-degree sunny day of spring doesn't bode well for sitting in the shack
all day.

Thanks for all the QSO's and the activity across the state.

73, Tom
K8BKM