[3830] NewEngQP WA1Z M/S Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob@wa1z.net
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP WA1Z M/S Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 01:24:21 +0000
New England QSO Party

Call: WA1Z
Operator(s): K1GQ W6PH WA1Z
Station: WA1Z

Class: M/S Mobile LP
QTH: ME NH
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:    130
   40:    499
   20:    343       2
   15:      2
   10:
------------------------
Total:    974       2  Mults = 66  Total Score = 128,700

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Huge thanks to K1KI for his NEQP stewardship!  And thanks to everyone who
followed us around this weekend!

After a one year hiatus (my wife and I had an opportunity to do a multi-day
hike in the Grand Canyon at this time last year that killed NEQP operations),
W6PH and I hit the road again for the fifth time.  This year, K1GQ joined the
team making the operation a Multi-Single.  As usual, Kurt did all of the
driving while Bill and I alternated operating counties.

Congratulations to the NZ1U Barnstormers Mobile team!!! What an incredible job
putting together a brand new kind of operation! It's always fun to try
something new in a contest.

Station:
2008 Honda CRV
Elecraft K3, 100 watts, powered from car battery
Bill and I logged separately on non-networked computers.

Two Hustler MO-2 54-inch masts mounted on hatchback door secured by a homebrew
roof rack harness
One Hustler MO-4 22-inch mast mounted on mag mount, guyed to roof rack just to
add a little more security
Hustler RM-model resonators and DX Engineering Capacity Hats for 80 through 15
Meters.

This year, we set up a K3 on a small homebrew desk in the middle of the
backseat.  Bill and I sat on either side of it.  We each brought our own
WinKeyer and, through a Y-adapter, connected both to the K3, so that we each
could transmit without having to fuss with changing cables. This made for
seamless county transitions, but also made it really easy for us to
accidentally hit F-keys when the _other_ guy was doing the operating.  Oops.

Mobile Contesting was a new experience for Bill.  My goal was to make sure he
operated as much or as little as he wanted.  And for much of the weekend, I
kept under-estimating which counties would have better rate than others and was
desperately trying to line up alternating counties so Bill could experience some
fun county changes.  In general, I think I oversold Bill on how “exciting”
county changes were going to be.  I kept reminiscing about fun, 30-minute-long
high rates from rare Maine counties from yesteryear that never materialized
this weekend.  Instead, we usually got 3 minutes of mayhem working the same
12-15 folks, then wore-out the F1 key until the next county change. Oh well…

Best DX was to JA on 20.  And it was a real treat having XO1X (thanks Gerry!)
call in from YT.

Somehow, we missed UT and WY (not enough S&Ping in 7QP) and SD.

73,
Bob WA1Z