[3830] WPX CW VE9AA SOAB HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE9AA SOAB HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 01:20:08 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 28:04
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    5
   80:  148
   40:  581
   20:  684
   15:   65
   10:    6
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Contest opened with a bang and the first 5 hours were fantastic hours and I was
having a great time.
20m stayed open until I went to bed around 3:30am local.  Yeeha!  Bring it on.

<Mike opens the excuse book and picks a good page......hmmm, here we are,
page 4.....>

Saturday went a lot slower and then in the evening I blew a tire, the wheel
fell off and the axel dug into the pavement.
HARD. I finally threw in the towel and gave up at midnight or so.  I had
originally planned 32-33hrs BICT for this event

that I had been really looking forward to, to try out my reworked 15m array. I
barely got to use it.

Overslept, (badly), so those # of hours didn't happen.  Oops. Earplugs worked
too well and I missed my alarm by 4 or 5

hours. ;-S

Sunday was a true GRIND ! Lots of 20-30Q's/hr hours. Ugh.  I walked away from
the radio almost every hour for 10-

20mins just to keep from going insane.  Even CQing on alternating bands failed
miserably as pretty much only 20m was

open all day Sunday. sigh. . . At least I was at the radio and not under the
weather like local dude VE9CB.  This ones for

you Dave ! (If you had to (unwillingly) pick a 'WPX to miss, this would be the
one)

Only a couple Q's on the fringe bands 10/160 - I was really reaching by even
having to look there.  Signals were OK-ish

on 80m Friday night, but local storms just killed it and I couldn't hear the
EU's calling - sorry !

Most exciting 40m QSO was VK3JA , LP (SE)over Africa with the sun still well in
the sky here.  He was good copy too and

stuck it out for 4 or 5 overs to insure he got my number correct.  Well done!

(post test) I see I was spotted in China but never made that QSO, but do recall
getting called by one but never heard a

report whatsoever.  And so it goes.....

No ZL, one Hawaii, almost zero AF.  This was the NAQP with a smattering of
watery EU tossed in.

Antennas here are mostly 4-squares or similar type arrays for the primary radio
and I ran 650-700w there.
 Radio 2 is on a ZS6BKW w/ added 15m vee and about 450w-500w there.

Thanks to Dennis, W1UE for helping me with upgrading my firmware on the YCCC
SO2R+ box and getting the s/w

setup with N1MM+.  I did a pseudo 2BSIQ (poorly, hi) on Friday into Saturday
but I am just learning.  It's a rush when

2 QSO's are interleaved perfectly, which seldom happened for me.  Sat/Sun were
the normal run and S&P on the 2nd

radio.

Hope condx get better than this or I'll have to take up VLF operating !
Gross QSOs=1510        Dupes=18        Net QSOs=1492

Unique callsigns worked = 1185

The best 60 minute rate was 124/hour from 0151 to 0250
The best 30 minute rate was 138/hour from 0143 to 0212
The best 10 minute rate was 150/hour from 0157 to 0206

The best 1 minute rates were:
 4 QSOs/minute    6 times.
 3 QSOs/minute   83 times.
 2 QSOs/minute  299 times.
 1 QSOs/minute  621 times.

There were 324 bandchanges and 126 (8.4%) probable 2nd radio QSOs.

Number of letters in callsigns
Letters  # worked
-----------------
   3         6
   4       803
   5       509
   6       163
   7         6
   8         2
   9         2
  10         1

Multi-band QSOs
---------------
1 bands     954
2 bands     169
3 bands      50
4 bands      10
5 bands       2
6 bands       0

------- S i n g l e   B a n d   Q S O s ------
Band    160     80     40     20     15     10
QSOs      4     68    372    484     25      1

73 es CU in the next one (all of a sudden!)

Mike VE9AA dit dit