[3830] WPX CW K9CT M/2 HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K9CT M/2 HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 16:31:53 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K9CT K9MA WT2P K9ZO N9CK AB9YC
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   23
   80:  318
   40: 1104
   20: 1944
   15:  438
   10:   34
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

We had a pretty good team of cw operators and good friends. Scott, K9MA was a
first time operator at K9CT and did a fantastic job. Everyone gets along so
well and enjoy each other's company.

We started off quite well. Saturday morning was good rate and even got some
good EU runs....however condx changed and the bands went quiet. It became a
real struggle for us to find any stations to work. We kept at it without
complaint....the low bands became quite noisy with all the lightning based in
the huge storms just south of us.

It seemed like condx were slightly better as Sunday morning progressed.
However, it was almost afternoon before we could again hear many EU on 20m.
Condx steadily improved to the end and we made as many QSOs and multipliers as
possible as we neared the finish line.

Aurora oval really dropped down and killed our path to EU. We observed a clear
skew path to JA and AS from 2-5 am Saturday morning. Lots of echo and QSB
caused several repeats on numbers and calls for accuracy.

Everyone on the team brought great food and drink to share. With the condx so
poor, it became a brat fest!

We received an email from an operator that we were his first cw QSO ever. How
oool is that? Maybe a new contester is born.

We encountered a few issues that were resolved during the contest. A bird
family decided to build a nest on top of a rotator motor and that took out the
pulse sending to our rotator control. Two climbs on the tower resolved that
issue. We had a high SWR show up on 15m and that took some investigation to
clear out a bad jumper at the base of the rotating tower. Time to replace all
of them.

Thanks for the QSOs and fun. Let's hope the sun quiets down for the fall
contest season.

73, Craig K9CT