[3830] WPX CW OH0X(OH6KZP) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kim.ostman@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [3830] WPX CW OH0X(OH6KZP) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 16:57:31 +0000
CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: OH0X
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH0X

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Brando
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:   66
   80:  134
   40:  601
   20: 1442
   15:  199
   10:    0
------------

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

This was my first DX contest in quite a while, as I've been slowly recovering
from some major health issues. Getting diagnosed with an intestinal tumor only
to have it reversed to uncertainty a week later, losing all your blood and then
some due to surgical complications (the original problem turned out to be
completely benign!), along with other lesser complications, hasn't exactly made
me excited for staying awake in long contests during recovery :) The latest
addition is somatosensory tinnitus, particularly bothersome to us hams who are
careful listeners used to digging signals out of the noise, but I'm hopeful it
will go away with time.

Anyway, the first night was a blast, with great W/VE conditions on 20m. The
contest starts at 03:00 local time, and the sun is almost up by then at 60N. I
even heard some weak W/VE signals on 15m, but nothing workable. There were two
split-second power cuts during the morning; when everything suddenly shuts down
and comes back up, it really wakes you up :)

The first day was spent getting back into "radio shape", practicing
dual-band interleaved operating, or 2BSIQ. It's tougher with serial numbers
being involved, but manageable. I was pleasantly surprised with a minor JA
opening on 15m, and I even got some W/VE in the log on 15m. By 23z after 21
hours of operating I had about 2100 QSOs, so I was pretty happy with the rate.

I then went to bed for a bit, and as we all know, the bands changed "a
bit" during that time... With K = 7 at 60N (think Alaska and northern
Canada), you're basically screwed. So I did some sporadic operating on Sunday
just for fun; I wasn't going to torture myself and left for home already in the
evening instead of taking the ferry and driving directly to work on Monday
morning, as originally planned. Total op time became 26 out of 36 hours.

The result should be good enough for a new OH0 record, but a much higher score
is naturally possible. Thanks to all for the QSOs, let's hope for open bands in
the next one!

73
Kim OH6KZP