[3830] RAC Day VE7JH SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE7JH SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2017 04:23:52 +0000
RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE7JH
Operator(s): VE7JH
Station: VE7JH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    3      0       1         0
   80:   32      9       5         4
   40:   91     27       8         5
   20:  250    180       9        10
   15:   89     18      10         7
   10:   35     12       7         5
    6:    5     48       1         1
    2:    1      2       1         1
Total:  506    296      42        33  Total Score = 345,150

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Operated from our club's repeater site on a 4000' mountain on Vancouver Island.
The site is 100% solar powered but I used a generator.
Rig is Icom-706MKIIG for HF and an FT-736R for VHF.
All the antennas had to be strung up Friday morning:
160m: Nothing tuned up, was probably putting out 5W.
80m: Inv. Vee apex at 50'
40m: another Inv vee at 49'.
20 and 10m: old 3el KLM(?) tribander.
15m: since the tribander wasn't happy there and I couldn't tune the 80 or 40
dipole, I folded back my 20m SOTA dipole till the SWR was good and then hung it
at 20'. Amazingly it gave me over 100 QSOs and 17 mults.
6m: 5el at 15', 2m: 11el at 17'.
You can add another 500' to those numbers as the repeater sits on a ledge with
an almost vertical dropoff in the direction of the rest of North America
(remember, I'm in the top left corner of your map).
Had a nice double hop Es opening on 6m that I had to quit in favour of working
10 pointers on 20m on Friday evening.
After all that work setting up I was too tired to run the full 24 hours so
slept from local 1AM to 5AM. No need for an alarm as at dawn the resident mouse
decided to start chewing on something right by my head as I was sleeping on the
floor.
Bands were all right, I either had a poor antenna on 80m on or it wasn't quite
up to snuff.
Not having internet access made me jump all over the bands and I caught some
nice 15m and 10m openings and were able to move some stations for mults. Thanks
to all who obliged!
Great to see the continued superb VE activity in this contest and the large
number of our cousins to the South.
Thanks to all who called/heard me and kudos to the RAC volunteers keeping this
great thing going!
73,
Gabor, VE7JH