[3830] RAC Day N8II SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day N8II SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2017 01:40:07 +0000
RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 10.6

  160:    8      2       2         1
   80:   41     17       3         5
   40:  115     62       8         7
   20:  106     82       9        10
   15:   22     12       4         4
   10:    8      2       3         2
    6:
    2:
Total:  300    177      29        29  Total Score = 178,292

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As you can see from the numbers, SSB activity was pretty low. I like to run on
SSB, but had limited success. Compared to 5 years ago or so, activity seems to
be headed in the wrong direction in both RAC contests. About 5 years ago, I can
remember running a bunch of VE7's on 20 and quite a few stations on 75M phone. I
was active until nearly 04Z at the start and not much materialized on 75, also
very few Canadians calling CQ there. I'm sure I could have done better on mults
on 80 CW, if I had S&P'ed more Friday evening. The signals that were there
were pretty strong on 40/80 the first night, but by 0130Z or so most ON
stations were skipping over and basically all ON were skipping over me on 40 by
21Z Saturday. Conditions and activity worsened noticeably the last 4 hours (took
a break to walk dog at 19Z). The highlight of propagation by far was an apparent
double hop Es opening on 15 AND 10M around 1520-1810Z (all 10M Q's between
1553-1615Z). I worked multiple BC stations on 10! The other mults worked were
ON and MB. VA3RAC in ONN was S9+ on 10 and S9+++ on 15. Unfortunately, there
was nary a peep of eastern Canada on either band. There were also W5's, 0's,
7's and 6's on 15 (could have been F2 to AZ/CA). I stayed on 10/15 until they
were worked out with a lunch break thrown in.
I am surprised there are not more big LP scores so far, as my operating is
limited due to helping XYL and house chores, but I also got a decent night's
sleep. Congrats to the guys with huge HP scores. The total amount of Es
openings and area covered was disappointing after the blow out on FD, but the
last days before July 1 and since were similar or worse. With the level of
activity, I am not sure an effort even this big is in my future, but do
appreciate all of the calls and Q's. I did work the RAC calls at least once in
all of the southern tier of call areas including NF and LAB, never heard any
northern tier stations at all.

73, Jeff