[3830] IARU KC7V(@K8IA) SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kc7vmike@q.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KC7V(@K8IA) SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 16:37:30 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: KC7V
Operator(s): KC7V
Station: K8IA

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:  345            21      11
   20:  331            17      22
   15:   75             8       4
   10:    5             4       1
-------------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks go to Bob K8IA for letting me do a simple remote into his station for
IARU.

I used a Bencher Skyhawk for 10-20 which is fixed at 45 feet due east at 90
degrees.  I used his 3 element 40m yagi at 70 feet.  We take down the 80m
vertical after WPXCW to prepare for the summer thunderstorm season.  It usually
starts right around July 1 in AZ.  This year we were lucky with no lightning
storms but did get a little rain.  His 80m is not built to withstand heavy
winds and storms.

So, for simplicity, I skipped 80/160 for this contest.  Overall I thought
conditions were decent but there were slow times during the day on Saturday.
It was good early, then slow, and picked up again later afternoon-early
evening.  40 was strong for a while.  I spent a fair amount of time during the
day on S&P for mults.

I went to sleep around 05:30z Saturday evening.  I have a busy day Sunday and
need to be alert.  I got up for the last 90 minutes only to find 40m in a
serious funk.  Running 100w no longer cut it.  I made 10 QSO's in that 90
minutes, but luckily two of them were mults.

I worked more EU that expected, given the beam is pointed well away from EU.
But I also called some EU that did not hear me.  Such is the game.  Overall I
cannot complain.  I worked a bunch of contesting friends, had fun and will be
ready to do it again this fall.

73,
Mike KC7V