[3830] IARU AE0EE SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU AE0EE SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:41:37 +0000
IARU HF World Championship

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:   24             6       2
   80:   48             6       1
   40:  121            11       1
   20:   91            14      18
   15:   21             5       4
   10:    4             2       0
-------------------------------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up 20-30', keyed with either an iambic paddle or vibroplex bug
(mostly paddle).

This contest was the first time I have put a newly-acquired K3 on HF.  Wow!
It's a huge improvement over the FT-857d I had been using, even with the narrow
filter in the 857.  There's much more I'll need to learn to take advantage of
all it can do (sub-receiver, I'm looking at you!), but already I'm off to a
good start.

I didn't get down to my station until 1700z, then had to set up the station and
the antennas for 40-10 m.  I decided to be optimistic about 10 meters and spend
contest time setting up the antenna for it.  By 1900z I was on the air.
Although four contacts for twelve points and two multipliers was perhaps not
the best return on invested time, I like to give a shout on 10 m to help keep
activity levels up.

After a while on 15 m, it became clear that 20 m was open to Europe.  Knowing
I'd need those multipliers and points badly, I worked the opening for all I
could, picking up an all-time new one in HB0 and another chance for a
confirmation from TA.  I heard 7Z1SJ and 4Z5LY, but couldn't get their
attention.

I managed to get a run going on 40 m from 0200-0400z.  Most of the contacts
were W/VE, but points are points and the rate keeps me interested in the
contest!

Low-band DX was hard to come by.  On 40 m, only EA8, I, KH6, VK, and ZL made it
in the log.  On 80 m, the only DX was KH6.  My low dipoles for 80 and 160 m
aren't great for DX, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to put KH6
in the log just after local midnight on 160 m.

All in all this was a fun contest, and I'm pleased to have logged more than 300
contacts in 12 hours of operating time.  Now it's time to study the manual for
the radio a bit more and figure out how to better make use of the bells and
whistles.