[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:42:18 +0000
North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 1:14

   80:  17      8
   40:  40     22
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  57     30  Total Score = 1,710

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I moved back into my house around the time the contest started after 2+ weeks in
a local hotel while my wood floors were being refinished. Didn't sign up for a
team as I didn't think I'd have any time to operate while moving back in. With
just under 2 hours left in the contest I decided that the rest of the
knick-knacks, family pictures and artwork could be cleaned and moved on
Sunday.

The W6YX shack was busy with work being done on some EME equipment and AA6XV
operating in the CQWW VHF contest. After turning on the computer and K3 I was
overjoyed when I could both print RTTY and seemed to have diddles transmitting
without making any adjustments to the radio or sound card. The most recent RTTY
operation with this K3 had been the Feb. 2016 NAQP RTTY.

I worked N1MGO on 40 with several repeats required, then called CQ and had
KH6CJJ come back right away. That's when I realized that the 40m Yagi was still
beaming toward JA from last week's IARU contest. After swinging the beam back to
the east I had a good rate for a while then when the run dried up I S&P'ed
up the band. Switched to 80 and only had one answer to my CQs so did an S&P
run.

While CQing I had a few stations call that I could not print and the Beverages
were not helping. QRN was really bad, particularly on 80. The rate really
dropped in the last 20 minutes of the contest. Most ops had already finished so
the last hour is probably the worst hour to choose if you're only going to be on
for an hour.

Sorry to have missed the main activity in this one. If I'd been better prepared
I would have tried SO2R or SO2V but with my foggy memory of how to set it all up
 I was just glad to get on at all.

73,
-Mike, N7MH