[3830] CQWW VHF KO9A SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KO9A SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:34:00 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: KO9A
Operator(s): KO9A
Station: KO9A

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): ~23

    6:  246   114
    2:   13     7
-------------------
Total:  246   114  Total Score = 28,044

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Very interesting contest!

Saturday saw average Es openings to many areas of the USA.  FT8 really showed
it's benefits as it was a great tool to determine where the opening was, how
loud certain areas were coming in, and of course a great way to find new
multipliers in the heat of the moment.  FT8 was a great rate booster when
things tanked, especially during the type of opening we had Saturday where many
areas were "in" simultaneously.

Sunday sucked.  Minimal to no Es.  Meteors were below average.  FT8 is NOT a
good meteor scatter tool.  FT8 really showed it's drawbacks here.  I suspect
many more QSOs could've been made by everyone if FT8 was abandoned for MSK144.
Will be interesting to see what others observed.

FT8 proved to be an outstanding Es and multi-hop Es tool, but it certainly
isn't a swiss army knife.  Hopefully everyone learned under fire why MSK144
should not be forgotten nor abandoned!

Saturday count - 198 Qs x 101 Grids - Happy to work VUCC on day 1
Sunday count - 48Qs x 13 Grids - Yuck!

I suspect we will see some phenomenal #s come out of CO, TX, and FL this time!

73

Jim KO9A