[3830] CQWW VHF K1HTV SOSB/6 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1htv@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K1HTV SOSB/6 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:11:55 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K1HTV
Operator(s): K1HTV
Station: K1HTV

Class: SOSB/6 HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  110    65
    2:
-------------------
Total:  110    65  Total Score = 7,150

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I decided to operate only on 6 Meter this contest using only digital modes. Of
the 110 QSOs made, 94 were with the new FT8 mode and the rest using MSK144. FT8
worked great for Es contacts and MSK144 for meteor scatter.

Local Saturday was the best day for Es. At the beginning of UTC Sunday, double
hop QSOs were made with 19 western EO, CM, CN, DL, DM & DM grids between
00Z and 03Z.

The latest version of WSJT-X software containing the new FT8 mode was only
released to the public earlier in the week. Judged by the amount of 6 Meter
activity on the designated FT8 frequency of 50.313 MHz, the new mode was a big
hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the use of JT65 slowly fade away and FT8
take over, especially during Es propagation.

I had gotten on the HF bands 5 days before the VHF contest to become more
familiar with the mode under battle conditions. 20 Meters was packed most of
the time but with a tribander and wire antennas I managed to work 66 countries
including 9G, A6, A9, TR, VP8(F) and YI which is not bad for 50 Watts.

I believe that the new FT8 mode is going to play a big part in future VHF
contest when Es propagation occurs.

73,
Rich - K1HTV