[3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 02:50:53 +0000
CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

    6:   95    48
    2:   15     8
-------------------
Total:  110    56  Total Score = 7,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.  N3UM
and W3GB operated in the July 2017 CQ VHF, W3GB for ~2 hr
starting 19Z Sat. due to non-ham commitments.

Moderate 6 m. Eskip was there at the 18 Z start; DM99, EL87,
and EM12 in 15 min, then 9 skip Qs in 8 grids before Es died
at 1905 Z. Also got 25 LOS/tropo Qs on 6 and 2, 18-2036 Z,
then that died too.

Took a break, had supper, and came back to find 6 m. jumping.
Made 40 Es Qs in 35 grids, 27 new, in 3 hr starting 23 Z, plus
8 LOS/tropo Qs. Only 2 Qs were on 2 m but one of those was in
FN41, ~350 miles away.

On Sun. just before 14Z, made 4 Qs in 5 min. CQing on 6, but
all 4 were within LOS, also looking for skip, and also finding
none. The rest of Sun. was dead slow on both bands; a total
18 Qs, just ONE via Es, in EM26 at 1716 Z.

Our 48 grids on 6 m. was just 2 short of VHCC (VHF Half-Century
Club).  Still, activity level seemed low.  We made just 1 QSO
in 27 of our 36 skip grids, 4 Qs in the Kansas City grid, 3 each
in Denver and St. Louis grids, and 2 in a few other grids.

LOS/tropo activity died on both bands whenever Es was not either
present or expected (e.g. at 14 Z Sun.)