[3830] IOTA K1IMI M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA K1IMI M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 19:33:59 +0000
IOTA Contest

Call: K1IMI
Operator(s): N4CW W4TMO
Station: K1IMI

Class: M/S LP
QTH: NA-055
Operating Time (hrs): 10:17

   80:
   40:   62      15        5       5
   20:  113      17       11       9
   15:
   10:
Total:  175      32       16      14  Total Score = 71,990

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Operation was from Little Deer Isle, on the northern end of Penobscot Bay in
mid-coast Maine. This year's location was "Pine Trail", a higher
elevation than last year's on the water's edge. Great location, but the
mosquitoes were terrible. We operated from inside the car and kept the windows
closed!
Power was 100 Watts by external batteries and an N8JKX regulator.

Jim and I tried the station configuration at our "home" QTH the
evening before the contest, but we were pressed for time before dark.
Everything SEEMED ready-to-go with our mobile setup...HAH! What we found out
was that, on CW everything worked just fine (that's what we tested prior to the
contest), but on phone we had r.f. feedback problems, regardless of what antenna
we tried (we had several mobile antennas and a 24-foot extendable flagpole
(mounted in a "drive on" mount which Jim had fabricated)that we used
as a non-resonant inverted-L. During the contest, we reconfigured the rats nest
of wires that enabled power, r.f., and computer control...that helped a little
and later we were able to use the Outback Outreach mobile antenna on 40 for a
few mults. Other than that, we enjoyed the operation, starting on 20 with some
great runs, then signals petered out until late afternoon on 20. After a burst
of activity, we moved to 40 and enjoyed some great European runs, eventually
giving up in the dark around 10 PM locat time for the 2-hour drive back
"home".  Thanks to all those who worked us...I know we missed a
few...
73, Bert N4CW/K1IMI