[3830] 222Up VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2017 14:10:57 +0000

  5.7:   3
  10G:   0
  24G:   0
------------
Total:  82  Total Score = 52,456

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Team:

Comments:

Arriving 30 minutes early to FN03vx, I had an unexpected encounter with strong
wind driven rain from the west,which blew the protective plastic enough to
allow water to wet the ends of the 3456 tvtr/amp and 5760 tvtr/amp mounted on
the  roof.
Fortunately it dried off with no ill effects.  Got first 222 qso with K1RZ @
530 km, not strong so conditions obviously were poor.  Ditto next qso's with
K1TEO who is usually strong and good to 1296 @ 509 km.  Elevation 500 fasl.

Moved to FN13ba at water's edge of Lake Ontario north shore, elev perhaps 280
fasl.  Did well and had my first run with KF2MR/R to 5760 with good signals.
Got K1RZ and K1TEO as high as 1296. plus N2PA on bottom 2 bands.  Then up to
FN14ba at 600 fasl,same results with those in past grid.  On to  last grid
posted for the day, FN04xa which at 720 fasl has a great horizon from south
through east to n-e.  Another good run with those worked in past grids plus
more.  Some missed me in FN03vx  and as I would pass  it on the  way home, went
there next and ran with KF2MR to 3456.

Sunday saw a drive to EN93wv @ 1750 fasl with a great horizon in most
directions.  Got 5 qso's with VE3ZV plus a run with KF2MR to 5760 and many
more.
I could see  the tower  of my closest qso to the  south, VE3EU 8 km away, on
432.
Got the most qso's here too, 18.  Then north to EN94wf, a more challenging site
as there  is a hill 200 to 300 feet high a few km to the south.  This site is
good to W2SZ and K1TEO but K1TEO not heard and W2SZ does not do UHF contests
now.  Had an unexpectedly great run with KF2MR to 3456, amazed we got over the
hill. Must have been ducting.  902.1 FM was picket fencing for the first time
but we got the qso from persevering.

This new contesting format  is a breath of fresh air for many who will endorse
the change, much needed.  Thanks ARRL for your wisdom in implementing  it.
Issues associated with the previous format are now gone, especially in the
category of Rovers.  Looking forward to more getting on the least used bands
with enough erp to work the contest, and be effective communicators.

Thanks to the ARRL and its contest  team, and to all who participated to give
me and others points.  I used Roverlog Calc for distance in miles, times 1.62
for km.  Looking forward eagerly to next year.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R