[3830] SEQP AA4LR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SEQP AA4LR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 15:29:20 +0000
Solar Eclipse QSO Party

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4

  160:
   80:
   40:   21                    20
   20:   26     8              30
   15:    4                     4
   10:    1     1               1
    6:
-----------------------------------
Total:   52     9       0      55  Total Score = 6,215

Club:

Comments:

Antennas:
Cushcraft A3S/A743 at 15m high (40-10m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/KANT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

Took the day off for the Solar Eclipse. I've experienced three others, but
never the 98% totality that we had at the home QTH.

My plans went a little awry when my daughter Kate called me up at 11 PM and was
stranded on the side of the road on her way home. She was about an hour and 15
minutes away, and by the time I drove out there, determined nothing could be
done about the car, called a tow truck and drive home, it was 3:15 AM. So much
for getting up early...

I made a pinhole projector to monitor the eclipse and alternated between
operating a little and checking the conditions outside. Eclipse viewing was
pretty good, with only a few clouds.

Conditions were generally pretty bad. Not a lot of DX in any case. 20m seemed
to be where the action was. My one 10m Phone QSO was a guy who wasn't in the
contest.

The 20 minutes before the peak, I was outside with my family. Weird to see it
get dark with the sun still out. Sun would shine on your arm, but it didn't
feel warm. Wind died and it was very still. Mosquitos came about about 10
minutes before the peak, which sent my youngest daughter inside looking for bug
spray.

Conditions on the radio didn't seem to change much as the day progressed. I
hope they collected a lot of good data. A fun way to spend a day off.