[3830] ARRL Sep VHF KM4KMU SO FM LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nosigma@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF KM4KMU SO FM LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 00:16:16 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  137    39  Total Score = 7,410

Club:

Comments:

Less activity on FM than last year.  Strange conditions, 446 and 223.5 were
outstanding with as good or better propagation and much lower noise than 2m
despite the 2m having equal or better VSWR, power, line losses and impedance
match.  223.5 was by far the best band going.  I just wish more people had it.
With the new 5 element 6m beam the 6m band was no slouch.  Many of the 6m
contacts were with horizontally polarized stations tuned for SSB freqs who ran
5 watts to minimize their reflected power at 52.525MHz.  Racking my beams over
to 45 degrees really paid off when working those SSB HPol stations who moved
over to FM.  N3GOV went the extra mile again this year, 3 bands from the QTH
and then two bands from two grid squares after going mobile.  Thanks to AA3TQ
(FM29) and N3NGE(FN20) for a couple of distant (for FM) grids.  After working a
sched with WB3CEH 165 miles away over several co-altitude ridge lines with an
omni on 2m he shocked me when he can back twice a strong several hours later
using the same dual band omni with half the power on 70cm.  Like I said the
band conditions were very very weird.

I got to talk to a number of evacuees and recovery personnel heading out of and
into Florida along I-81.  Both inspirational and sad.  Love FM where you have
time for a little rag chewing before calling CQ again.

It was a great weekend to be in Va on a 4,500' bald knob with a radio.
Both the claimed score and the claimed multi's are in FM record territory.

73
John
KM4KMU