[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3CCR(N3UM) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3CCR(N3UM) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 03:11:14 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  57     22  Total Score = 1,914

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. I (N3UM)
did SOLP in the Sept. 2017 ARRL VHF.

As always I enjoyed working long-time VHF buddies on 2 and 0.7 m,
but my main interest this time was 903 and 1296 MHz QSOs. My home-
brew 903 and 1296 gear has been on the shelf since I moved here in
June 2014.  I almost got it on for the 222 MHz+ Distance Test Aug.
5-6. BUT, we got a call Aug. 1 that the tower pro was coming Aug. 3
to put up the new 20/40 m. JK Falcon beam we had been assembling
for weeks, so 903/1296 had to wait.

For my 2 loop Yagis I pulled up a 30-ft. tapered rotating mast made
of 6-ft. Al tubes with a guy ring. The rotor rested on a barn-hinged
base spiked to the ground. All 903 and 1296 gear was at the mast base
in a rainproof plastic box. AC power, control, and 2 m. IF signals
were fed thru 75 ft. cables to the shack.

I was pleased to make 5 Qs on 903 MHz and 2 Qs on 1296.
Signals were strong to and from very high stations (K1RZ and W3IP)
but weaker with W3EKT and N3OC than they had been from my old QTH
~17 miles to the east.  And, I could not hear W3APL beacons at all
on 903 or 1296: both were easy copy from the old QTH!

I think I have a terrain problem: no blockage nearby, but there must
be a big hill or two between here and FM19 to the NW in Montgomery
County. Maybe I will add one 6 ft. mast tube and move the mast to
the top of the 20 ft. hill behind the shack for the Jan. VHF test.