[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1rz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 03:15:22 +0000
ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 28.5

    6:  104    40
    2:  113    39
  222:   69    26
  432:   86    31
  903:   33    19
  1.2:   46    21
  2.3:   26    15
  3.4:   13     9
  5.7:    6     5
  10G:   13     8
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  507   213  Total Score = 210,444

Club: Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

The early hours of the VHF Contest seemed pretty normal with average conditions
for Saturday into Sunday morning.  Activity seemed good.  But conditions were
just normal.  I worked a number of Rovers including KJ1K, AB4CR, WA3PTV, N2SLN,
K8GP, KF2MR, W2HYW, K2EZ, KD3PD and NF2RS.   Early Sunday morning I worked some
6m MSK144 stations until fairly late �" almost 3AM, picking up some grids
that I would have not gotten otherwise given that there was no 6m E-Skip in my
log for the weekend.

Again in the 6AM hour working a few more MSK144 contacts both 6m and 2m, and
then saw decodes from VE2DFO on 6m, so turned beam up to FN25 called and
quickly worked Don with very consistent signals.   In a few minutes Don chatted
that he had worked me on UHF bands in the past and wanted to go to 432 MHz.  We
went to 432 and worked and then went to 222 MHz and worked easily.  Don chatted
“lets try 1296” and we were both surprised as we easily worked on that band.
  At this point I realized there was the enhancement I expected on the bands,
which sometimes seems to be caused by the presence of the devastating
hurricane, Irma now approximately 1500 km’s to the south and moving north.

However, during the mid-morning to early evening, daytime conditions returned
to “normal” replacing the "enhanced" perception that VE2DFO and I
were left with.  But in the evening it all changed again, back to
"enhanced".  First indication at 0105z when Bob K2DRH EN41 chatted
for me to come to 144.208 where I found him S6 on USB.  We immediatley QSY'd to
222, and worked with some difficulty, and then went to 432 where we worked
immediately with signals at S4 on my side.  After running with several rovers I
got Joe K9MRI EN70 on 144 MHz at 0214z and learned Joe had the rest of the K9MRI
bands under construction, but we were happy with the 2 meter only contact.  I
continued to work looking west and got Ken W9GA EN53 on 144 USB plus 222 and
432 on CW.  Then worked Gil WB9TFH EN53 on 144 and 432 CW.  Again 432 seemed
stronger then the lower bands.  At 0240z worked Dan K9EA EN71 on 144 CW.  Then
connected with Ken KU8Y EN61 at 0251z on 222 MHz CW.  QSY'd immediately to 432
MHZ working on USB, and then to 902 CW completing with Ken at 0255z.  We went
up to 1296 but could not complete during the contest, so logged in the regular
station log after the contest was over.  This was clearly a nice way to end the
contest.  Ken and I have agreed to check the higher bands more often.

Over all it was a fun contest with some quite decent enhanced conditions,
particularly early morning Sunday with Don VE2DFO on 222, 432 and 1296 to FN25.
 Also the into W0 and W9 in the last two hours of the contest.  It is always
interesting to see how such enhanced conditions / band openings can be very
geographically narrow in scope.  It was noted on ON4KST that none of the New
England stations experienced these conditions.  Also it shouldThe chat pages
have simplified many aspects of openings in that one can set up the next
frequency and the timing sequences on the chat page while QSYing the equipment.
  Again, it was a very good weekend.

Dave  K1RZ  FM19jh