[3830] ARRL 10G+ K1RZ 10G Only LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1rz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10G+ K1RZ 10G Only LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:07:27 +0000
ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: 10G Only LP
QTH: FM19jh
Operating Time (hrs): 45

  10G:   34       11493
  24G:
  47G:
  75G:
 123G:
 134G:
 241G:
Light:
---------------------------
Total:   34       11493  Total Score = 14,893

Club: Mt. Airy VHF Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Round 1. Saturday morning had some enhanced tropo to the northeast with Jeff
K1TEO FN31jh worked at 406 km’s, and K1GX heard, and as normal that mode
faded away about 8AM. Thanks to you Ray N3RG FM29ki 179 km’ for being in
there to show both us our gear still working.   Good local activity through the
day with portables W3HMS, WA3PTV, WA3RGQ, and AB4CR on the bands �" thanks
guys for going out.  At 2010 worked K2DH in FN02nu across the Appalachian
mountains.   Dave and I have had good luck with this path in the past and it
continued that day.  Then about 2045z I could see a strong storm front
displayed on K0SM's Rainscatter program stretching from SW to NE across the
FN00 to FN11 grids.  I pointed at the middle of the “red” and worked K8ZR
and KB8VAO in EN91ov, VE3FHM and VE3WJ in EN92op, and VA3ELE and VE3SMA in
FN02at - finishing out a great run at 2125z.  It was amazing in that I signed
with a station and sent QRZ, and another station came back.  I also took a
chance and called CQ and had these stations call back.    Heard Joe WA3PTV in
FM19aw working the same northwesterly stations on Rainscatter and his signals
were also coming back to me with the distorted “aurora-like” rainscatter
effects (no pure tone).   It was a strong front, and not uncommon in the heat
of August.    I need to keep looking for those storm fronts and cells.    Later
tried with Pete K9PW on Mt. Greylock, and could hear him, but path was too weak
to complete.  Finished out the day working close in stations Maurice K3EJJ,
Mike WB2RVX and Chip WA4VHF.

Sunday started off working Pete K9PW on Camelback FN21hb. Thanks for coming
east Pete.  K2DH in FN02xu came through on tropo and finished the day working
local Connie WB3BZS, and working John W3HMS FM19kh portable on the ridge line
north of Carlisle PA.

Round 2.  Started at 1042z with Steve KB8VAO coming down to central PA at
FN00sn. Glad that Brian N3OC FM19le and John N9ZL FM08us portable on Hogback
Mtn Virginia got on too.  Otherwise would have been a very slow morning.
Tried many times with the Blueknob PA FN00rg group W2RMA and NO3I and no luck
at 158 km’s.  Started to look for loose connectors and blown fuses.
Unusually bad conditions, perhaps to due to the regional closeness of the Jose.
  Thanks to Bill W2RMA, Bob NO3I and Steve KB8VAO for holding on at Blueknob
until the unusually bad conditions lifted.  Sorry I missed Kip N3XRE who also
got on from Blueknob thanks to Bill’s construction of a 2nd 10 GHz portable
rig in the last week.  Kip - hope you will continue with 10 GHz in the future.
    Then worked Paul WA3GFZ on Camelback FN21hb at 1637z which began a period of
working far over the horizon stations.   Connected with Warren WB2ONA and Ken
KA2LIM portable near the K2LIM contest site in Fn12mg, at 331 km’s.   In the
late afternoon (2100z hour) worked John K1OR FN41LL at Horseneck Beach State
Reservation, MA at 576 km’s for our first QSO on 10 GHz after trying for many
years.   FB John!!   Then reached out to W1EX and KA1OJ and worked them both on
Mt. Wachusset FN42bl at 571 km’s.  The earlier poor band conditions had
clearly repaired.  Worked Bill W2RMA again, on his way back to Pittsburgh, Bill
stopped and hauled his portable station with horn antenna up several flights of
stairs on the Mt. Davis FM09js observation tower.   Thanks Bill.   And now to
Block Island Rhode Island where Paul W1GHZ and Chip W1AIM were set up near the
highest point on the island at FN41ee �" 519 km’s.  Good signals
�" thanks guys for going out there.   Terry W8ZN brought the K8GP/R 10
GHz station on the air from his driveway and we worked through and around dirt
and trees at 63 km’s.  Had tried several times with Dale AF1T on Martha’s
Vineyard MA FN41ql (and FN41oi) during the day, and finally made it!   Thanks
Dale and Mickie �" sorry you had to leave the island earlier than planned
due to hurricane Jose.  But so glad you put Martha's Vineyard on the air.

Sunday worked new local Dan WA2BTR (now living in Gettysburg PA), who went out
with Marco KD3PD, to show Dan some rover spots in south-central PA.   Glad to
get you in FM19hx and FM19hs Dan �" thanks Marco.  Perhaps 10 GHz will be
in your future soon too?    Steve K3WHC was also able to work Dan from FN10ra.
Glad we could work too Steve.     Later in the afternoon Joe WA3PTV got to
FN00wc and then FM09wx.  Thanks Joe for getting out and working Dan, Steve, me
and John N9ZL.   John - you were a welcome addition at the end of the day, for
your contacts in from FM19cd and FM09tf.

It was a real treat to be able to connect by calling on 144.260 MHz or cell
phone, figure out where to point, establish a frequency and calling sequence,
and try to make a contact.    And sometimes try again, …and again.   Thanks
for going out and getting on everyone.  73,   Dave  K1RZ  FM19jh