[3830] CQ WW RTTY K3EST(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY K3EST(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 03:07:32 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: K3EST
Operator(s): AI6JZ K3EST NA6O NH6V N6RO
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 47
Radios: SO2R

   80:  277       49      16    15
   40:  771       52      66    30
   20:  762       52      89    32
   15:  572       42      54    26
   10:   19        1       8     7
------------------------------------
Total: 2401      196     233   110  Total Score = 2,592,051

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This contest started as a casual event for K3EST, NA6O and N6RO. However, we
invited a new contester, AI6JZ to join in the fun on Saturday daytime.  Bill
quickly learned the RTTY routine. Then, about midnight on Saturday night, I was
the only one operating, on the SO2R station, when a face appeared in the window,
and a voice said "Is Ken here?"  It was Rob NH6V, whom I hadn't seen
in 35 years when he was WB6SHD. He was 15 years old when part of my multiop
team when I lived in San Jose. He came into the shack and a fun reunion ensued,
lasting until long after sun-up. After an hour of chatting, wine and cheese, Rob
sat down at the other station and quickly got acquainted with RTTY and ran JA's
on 40, while I continued on 80m. After the contest, Rob launched his hi-tech
drone and captured the antenna farm at Radio Oakley on video.  It was a great
reunion with an old friend.

As for the contest, we entered M/M so not to impede SO2R operation on one
station, plus another station dedicated to one band.  We ended up with about
the same score as last year when Bob and I did the same thing. Gary manned the
SO2R station on Saturday and Sunday daytimes (15 & 10m), while Bob ran the
20m station.

The second station was a great PIA throughout the entire weekend: whenever the
op changed frequency on the K3, the digital mode would revert to AFSK D, and no
diddling happened. After a few hours of frustration I discovered the problem, so
in S&P mode, we had to reset the data mode to AFSK A before calling a
station.  It was ok in run mode.  We have not diagnosed the problem, but
believe it is some setting in N1MM or MMTTY, that sends a faulty command to the
K3 when the frequency is changed on the radio. NA6O will elaborate on this on
the Elecraft and N1MM reflectors.

Overall it was an enjoyable weekend, despite poor condx on the high bands. And
now, we proceed to set up six stations for CQP. Look for N6O on Oct. 7-8.

Thanks for the RTTY Qs, 73, N6RO