[3830] CQ WW RTTY OZ7AM(@OZ2ELA) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY OZ7AM(@OZ2ELA) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 08:46:53 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: OZ7AM
Operator(s): OZ7AM
Station: OZ2ELA

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  159       3       36     7
   40:  345      25       58    21
   20:  752      50       79    28
   15:  151      16       67    28
   10:   40       0       17     9
------------------------------------
Total: 1447      94      257    93  Total Score = 1,550,004

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was my very first WW RTTY as SO. I didn't plan on making a serious effort
but it turned out that I had the time after all so here we go.

The first day came and went with awful conditions. Not a peep on 10 and 15 was
very quiet despite a brief opening to JA and later NA. I think my primary
achievement on day one was pleasing the power company with my endless CQing.

The second half of the contest was different with the rate picking up in the
early afternoon and staying steady for the whole evening.

A very nice surprise was the sudden opening on 10 metres that added 28 lovely
and much needed multipliers from EU, AF and SA.
The band never quite opened to NA although other OZ folks reported working into
the East Coast. Had to stop a few hours before the end of the contest because I
knew I had to get out of bed very early Monday morning to go to work.

80 was a disappointment due to the SWR on the this particular antenna being
very high in the RTTY portion of the band, forcing me to reduce power to a
couple of hundred watts. This turned out to be insufficient to work the few Far
East stations I could read, but no harm done.

I was surprised to learn how little spotting assistance helps. I decided to go
'Assisted' because I thought it to be an advantage, but I didn't use it nearly
as much as I expected. The number of spots coming in was surprisingly low be
that due to the poor conditions or some other reason.

All in all a fun weekend. Thanks to Michael (OZ2ELA) and his wife for having me
visit and letting me use the station. My honest guess is that the QTH mattered
more than my operating skills looking at the final result.

Would I do it again? RTTY is a different game and I have things to learn. SOAB
is certainly less tiring than on CW (never mind phone), but I do miss some of
the action -- especially the higher rates. That being said I think you'll find
me in future WW RTTY contests!

73 -- see you in WW SSB and CW

OZ7AM, Alex