[3830] CQ WW RTTY KU2M SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY KU2M SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 21:37:37 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  828      37      78    21
   10:
-----------------------------------
Total:  828      37      78    21  Total Score = 272,408

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Lost at least an hour of morning prime time Saturday due to performing
obligatory "honeydo" duties. I timed it as late as I could to avoid
missing some of the EU opening, but still missed a good hour or more when the
band was open to EU. Why our town has scheduled all of its special recycling
dropoffs during CQWW contest Saturday mornings is beyond me... maybe our town
is affiliated with the ARRL? The next big hazardous materials dropoff is
scheduled for... you guessed it, CQWW Phone Saturday! I have already informed
Management that I will NOT be available for that one. Fire me if you must, but
I'm not driving through bumper to bumper Saturday morning traffic to drop off
old cans of paint and lacquer thinner on the Saturday morning of CQWW Phone!
OK... end of rant.

Otherwise, condx were surprisingly good to EU Saturday morning, although the
path started up later than usual. Hey, better than nothing, right? As Rocky
would say, Ab-Zo-Loodly! Same on Sunday... er, I mean, Dupeday. In fact, Sunday
morning was even crazier than Saturday morning... I had the most insane pileups
from Europe on RTTY ever experienced. What, was I the only guy on from New
Jersey? Of course, the flipside to this was that there was bupkis to Japan and
environs all three nights... not a peep was heard out of any JAs, or any zones
further NW than Hawaii. Well, I did hear a peep, but that was about it, and I
could only hear that if the antenna was pointing 60 degrees further south than
it should be... I heard bits and pieces of one JM1 with the antenna due west,
but not enough for a QSO, and if I turned the antenna NW toward JA, he
disappeared completely, indicating severe absorption. That was it for my zone
25 experience. As the Soup Nazi used to say on Seinfeld, "No Soup For
You!" People further west had better luck, but that's life in the KU2M
Triangle. Conversely, there was nothing heard further NE than European Russia,
nothing from zones 17 or 18, 21, 22, etc. And nothing from northern or central
Africa except I did waste a half hour calling 7Q7WW (split frequency) on Sunday
morning, but he was too busy working EU (the N-S path, you know) to listen for
stateside. He did call "QRZ VE" at one time, and I began to wonder if
he was anti-American. I almost picked up my Alpha and threw it out the window of
my shack in the direction of Africa. The noive of that guy.

Except for one of my StackMatches breaking on Sunday (the second time this
year), all went well, except that it was hot, hot, hot in the shack with the
linear blowing off steam, no AC and temps hovering around 90 degrees outside, a
full two days into autumn up here in what is supposed to be the Northeast with
cool autumn temperatures and some gently falling leaves. Not hardly. Try more
like the height of midsummer with full leaves still on the trees and crickets
blasting away at night like they used to in the last month of August when I was
a kid back in the 19th century. As I like to say, it's a darned good thing that
global warming is a big hoax, otherwise we'd all be in a heap of trouble.

And as Foghorn Leghorn used to say, that's a joke, son.