[3830] TxQP K5OT SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5ot@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TxQP K5OT SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 13:46:36 +0000
Texas QSO Party

Call: K5OT
Operator(s): K5OT
Station: K5OT

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: Central TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:
   40:  258     4
   20:  116     0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  374     4       0  Mults = 77  Total Score = 103,010

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Claimed score includes 15,000 points for activating 15 counties and 1,000 points
for working N5NA and W3DYA in 5 counties each.

NO5W and I have teamed up for TQP multi-op mobile entries during each of the
past three years.  We put together a major route-change for our #4 run,
planning to activate the northeastern Texas counties this year.  However,
Chuck's trusty and well-equipped Nissan Pathfinder decided it wasn't ready to
play this time. Chuck contacted me on Wednesday before the contest and said
that the vehicle had 'stopped cold' on him while on a local errand.  No NO5W/M
this year, as Chuck needed to stay home in New Orleans and revive the
Pathfinder.  The prognosis is still undecided.

With this disappointing news, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put together a run
on my own.  There were quite a few nearby TX counties that showed little or no
activation potential, so I re-installed my mobile gear in the truck and cobbled
together a part-time route that would cover 15 counties in the area - 4 on
Saturday morning and 11 more through the day on Sunday.

I really look forward to the annual TQP multi-op mobile run with NO5W each
September. It was disappointing to miss it in 2017, but I'm certain that Chuck
was even more disappointed at this abrupt schedule change.  Although I did
enjoy getting out for a while on my own, it isn't nearly as much fun as our
team efforts.  I look forward to resuming our multi-op mobile tradition next
year!

Mobile equipment:  Icom IC-7100 at 100W, tiny Little Tarheel II antenna, spiral
notebook, pen, and 2015 GMC Sierra.

Thanks for the QSOs and your support of the TQP this year.

73,
Larry K5OT