[3830] AzQP K8TE/7 Cnty Exped HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, billamader@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] AzQP K8TE/7 Cnty Exped HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 04:27:08 +0000
Arizona QSO Party

Call: K8TE/7
Operator(s): K8TE
Station: K8TE/7

Class: Cnty Exped HP
QTH: APH/NVO
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

  160:
   80:    4      2      0
   40:   52    233      0
   20:  110    404      0
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  166    639      0  CW Mults = 31  Ph Mults = 50  Dig Mults = 0  Total
Score = 78,651

Club:

Comments:

This was an interesting event!  The K-Index was not helpful most of the time.
From my perspective with a dipole at 40 ft., conditions were generally not
great.  The big guns did well, but this little pistol was challenged and
didn’t do as well as last year.  Still, I had fun most of the time.  Perching
near the APH/NVO county line helped a lot except for those who couldn’t figure
out how to log it, including the one op who “dropped my pencil.”
The PAQP guys were really racking up the contacts!  Many of them are the really
big guns from the FRC and it showed.  Some of them were even ready to make AZQP
QSO’s�"thanks!  Where were all the AZ ops?  There sure weren’t many
on 40m, and I heard none on 80/75 although I heard a few on 20m backscatter,
but they couldn’t hear me.  Self-spotting would go a long way in helping find
the “locals” for additional multipliers.  It would also help generate more
QSO’s which seems good for everybody.
When operating CW, I checked the RBN to see if I was getting out.  I was, but
found it difficult to generate QSO’s, much less any runs.  The only reason I
had any good runs was the 2fer aspect of working from a county line.
I came down with vertigo Saturday and an unpleasant side effect on Sunday which
took me out of play  for nearly four hours�"that hurt!  In spite of it
all, I had a fun time.  John, N6MU, chased me among 80m, 40m, and 20m but I
couldn’t hear him on the latter.  And as always, John, K4BAI, was there
wherever I was calling.  Thanks guys and to all who pulled my sometimes weak
signal through the mud.
My biggest operating challenge, other than getting sick, was receive noise.
The “quiet” Honda i2000 is not as quiet as many think.  Jim, K9YC, has some
great advice on choking the RFI I need to follow.  Like every contest/operating
event, I come away with more to do than I seem to have time, maybe because
I’m operating so much.  Good luck in the contest!