[3830] CQWW SSB P40T(VE3DZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3dz@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40T(VE3DZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 20:28:55 +0000
CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40T
Operator(s): VE3DZ
Station: P40T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   39     8       18
   80:  225    16       44
   40: 2020    30      110
   20: 1302    31      104
   15: 2452    31      111
   10:  539    16       49
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I was trying to rent a shack in Aruba for years with no success, that's why I
took an offer to rent legendary P49V
station almost with no hesitation. Of course, I realized that taking this on
such a short notice would put me in the
situation where I might be facing numerous challenges starting from Licensing
and air tickets and finishing with
station equipment planning.
I started with searching for flights, because timing was the main issue, and
after a lot shopping around I managed to book 2 different one-way
non-refundable tickets at relatively affordable cost.
By the time I booked my flights I received rather disappointing news from Ben
DL6RAI who is now the new owner of the station that one the 2 radios on site is
not working. Unfortunately my only
small radio (K3) that I could take is under repairs now, so it bought me to the
point where I had to look for the radio to borrow.
Also, though I applied for a P4 license the same moment I booked my flight, I
was told that I might not get it
in time for the contest because the DTZ (local radio licensing authority)
strictly requires to apply at least 2 months in advance.
The solution with borrowed radio came unexpected when Andy AE6Y offered me his
spare FT1000 which was sitting at P49Y station for years.
As for the license I was in touch with DTZ and the person who was taking care
of my license locally all week prior
to my trip, however no promises have been made.
I arrived in Aruba on Sunday night having 5 full days for preparation and had a
nice dinner with Ulf DL5AXX of the
WRTC-2018 committee and his wife at the nearby bar. They were on vacation and
were supposed to leave for Germany the next day.
The next Monday I finally got verbal approval to use P40T (actual license was