[3830] SS CW W5MX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bydal@roadrunner.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W5MX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 00:48:38 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX
Station: W5MX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  229
   40:  472
   20:  466
   15:   34
   10:    0
------------

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Arrived at the station Saturday about 5 hours before contest to get set up.
Threw up a low dipole for 40, checked other antennas out and moved all the gear
inside from the truck. I have the set up of gear thing down to about 1/2 hour
now. I don't leave the gear in the cabin, afraid of thieves.
Still had a couple of hours left and the wx was awesome here for Nov. Decided
to get some other things done around the place. Changed oil in the generator to
prepare for rest of contest season, split up some firewood for the woodstove,
etc. Started contest on 20, told myself I wouldn't get trapped on the high
bands for too long like I do every year/ Here in the middle of the major
population, high bands are worthless. 20 was good, decent runs but mostly out
west and extreme NE/SE. Moved to 40 after a couple hours to work the closer
stuff before it went long. Things were good enough to where I didn't go to 80
until later than normal. 80 is normally THE band from here but just couldn't
get anything going to speak of. Went back and forth on 40/80 just to try to
keep rate up. QRT for the night around 6:00z. Overslept Sun AM a bit. Went to
80 and started climbing the ladder. Knew if I was to get some of the longer
mults, especially VI and PR, it would probably be on 15.Spent a lot of time
S&P on Sunday. Just could not get any runs to speak of. All that S&P
did enable me to get the sweep/ NP3X in VI, had to listen for a while to make
absolutely sure I had the call right- not np2. WX was still good enough to
where there were several times where things were so slow Sunday I just went out
of the cabin and walked around my 14 acre property for a while. Finally got N6EE
while S&P on 40. Heard big pileup so figured something juicy must be in
there, and heard NNY! I almost moved when I heard the call until I heard the
section! Sounds like I was fortunate to get him. I tried 80 again towards the
end of the contest, but the storm QRM from just north of me was tremendous!
Used beverages for rx most of the time. Still no decent runs, more S&P. 40
and 20 were the bands this year. Don't believe I have ever had more q's on 20
than 80 in ss from KY.
I heard others comment about the CK years given, definitely an indicator of our
contester population age. Did hear a few newer ones in there so that is good.
Thank You all for the Q's
Bryan
W5MX