[3830] SS CW W0UA(@K0RF) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W0UA(@K0RF) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:23:19 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  146
   40:  587
   20:  435
   15:   83
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

Not sure why I keep doing this in my "declining years?"  After that
little bout with CLL--and recent MOHS surgery (yep, that's me with the bandaged
nose)--I had some serious doubts about my stamina to single-op this thing.
Turns-out it was pretty much the same as always; 8 hours of excitement followed
by 16 hours of desperation, the interminable Sunday, etc, but I felt the same as
ever, both during & after the event. Adrenaline, the wonder-drug!  Anyway,
that's a big relief & I'm thankful I can still do it.   OK, not all that
well, maybe, but I can still do it...

Got off to another really bad start, that's becoming an unfortunate tradition.
I made a couple of mistakes--right off the line-- that were too stupid to
confess in public.  So, I won't!  But, Chuck & George's Law applies here:
"QSOs lost at the start of a contest are never recovered".

Those interminable Sundays!  Like a squirmy, back-seat kid on a road-trip;
"I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, I gotta' go potty!  Are we there yet?"
"Quiet back there!   We're not stopping for ice cream & you're not
even gonna' hear a Wyoming station."
Is it 0300 yet??

I want to take a minute here & lift my glass to two guys.  NP3X called me
Sunday on 15.  But, he was so weak!  The first attempt at a QSO failed.  But,
he came back a bit later...and back & forth we went--one piece at a
time--until we made it.  The beer's on me, Fubs!  In the last hour, N8CWU came
back somewhere under the noise on the barren, QRN wasteland that was 40 Meters.
 All I could get was his call, a no-hoper, I ended-up CQing in his face.  But he
was not to be denied--he kept calling!  Hey, he wants this QSO, let's do this
thing!  It took about 4 minutes...but we got it done.  So, N8CWU, proud to work
ya'--grab a chair & have a cold one here with me & K9VV.  You guys are
REAL hams--my kinda' folks!

>From the numbers I heard, sounds like there'll be around 20 folks in the Top
Ten in this one.  These are all superb ops from great stations!   We'll see how
it shakes-out--but all these folks are winners in my book (soon to be available
on Amazon)...

OK, Chuck offered me this one, and I took it despite my delf-doubts.  His
station worked flawlessly so any shortcomings are exclusively on the op.  Mr.
Kitty (who adopted me at K5GO in 2012) bravely held down the fort at home.
But, he was pretty happy when Mr. Dad here got back Sunday night, LOL.  He says
hi & ME0W to Stan, Rita & Kevin...

I saw a quote the other day:  "Sometimes, you just gotta' let the dog run
around the yard 'til he's worn out."  Yep.  Woof!

Geo