[3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] CWopsT N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 23:31:22 +0000
CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Nov 8

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: WARREN DUNES SP
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:   0
   80:   0
   40:  24
   20:   0
   15:   0
   10:   0
------------
Total:  24  Mults = 24  Total Score = 576

Club: MICHIGAN QRP CLUB

Comments:

Warren Dunes State Park, about 110 miles from home.  Left about 1610Z after the
usual workout session which starts at 1500Z.  As typical, took a bit longer
than what Google maps said it should have, partly because the Burger King where
I stopped to grab lunch was overcrowded because a McDonalds up the street was
closed for renovation.

Got to the park about 1835Z, had to find a place, because the park map didn't
include details of amenities at the parking lots.  Fired up on 20 meters for a
sked with N5PHT, with zero luck.  Since we both had Cell Phones, we tried 17
meters with Zilch, then tried 30 meters with S5 signals or so.  So, our park to
park contact was fine, though it didn't (obviously) count for CWT, being before
the CWT started AND on a WARC band.  But, there's some advantage for "park
to park" contact, details of which escape me, but I'll work park to park
with anyone who wants it.

I was having trouble reading my computer - only AFTER the event did I realize I
was still wearing sunglasses inside the car, which reduced the visibility
considerably. DUH! Operator stupidity. :)

Anyway, conditions on 40 were fine, many stations at the beginning of the CWT.
I haven't checked, but I do know that 20 was marginal, and I didn't hear a peep
on 17, so maybe 20 was marginal even for the 1.5++ KW stations.B  (NOTE: One op
asked why I say 1.5 ++ when 1.5 KW is mzx legal power.  A gain antenna will
provide 6 dB or more ERP, so it is easy to have 3 or more KW ERP legally.  When
compared to my simple vertical for portable use, there's >23 dB difference in
ERP between my 5 watts and no gain, vs a 1.5 KW rig to a gain antenna.)

I snagged my friend N2CX who was running a parks on the air operation from New
Jersey in the midst of the CWT mayhem, but he was doing great!  If you hear
him, give him your report, and he probably will give you his name and state.

All, in all, I missed 25 Q's, partly because I misread the screen, and the last
fellow I worked NEVER gave his call, even when he signed off a 2000Z.  He
finally gave his call when chatting after the CWT had ended.