[3830] NA Sprint SSB N8XX QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB N8XX QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 03:32:39 +0000
NA Sprint SSB Contest - November

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:   6        1
   40:   7        2
   20:   0        0
---------------------
Total:  13     Mults = 8  Total Score = 104

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC HI-LO POWER

Comments:

Not one of my favorite contests.  I get screwed up on the moving, mostly because
I forget the I MUST hit return to save the log info prior to moving from a
contact when I'm using N1MM logger.  On Corn Whisky i don't have this problem,
because I key the rig and use Enter Sends Message so I don't have to thimk
about this "quirk" of the logging software.

And, I don't like flapping my jaws to make contacts anyway, since for about 5
or more years while a school kid I didn't have enough $$'s for a modumation
transformer or anything similar back in the "just after sp*rk daze"
so Corn Whisky became a second language.

Anyway, I hope I made more than 1 valid Q dring this event, so that I will
exceed the score of 1 which I managed for the spring event. :)  Local and
atmospheric noise, compounded by rapidly changing skip and skip zones (QSB)
made things tough for QRP.  One notable try was with KA9FOX.  I must have found
him half a dozen times on 80 meters.  At least three time he was able to
decipher my call, and i'd get his info.  But, by the time I sent mine,
sometimes in duplicate, my signals would fade out, or local noise would hit his
receiver, and he never showed in my log.

There were others of note, who patiently asked for multiple repeats, and
finally I made it into their logs.  Thanks to everyone who stayed with my puny
signal.  It actually "kept me going" considerably longer than I
normally would for a phone contest.