[3830] SS SSB W5WZ Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5wz@w5wz.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W5WZ Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 07:46:24 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5WZ
Operator(s): W5WZ KN5O K5ER WM5H WA5VQP
Station: W5WZ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:58

------------
  160:    0
   80:  269
   40:  839
   20:  655
   15:  104
   10:    0
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

This year the LCC members opted to go to W5WZ's QTH for our annual SS SSB
Contest get together.  Previously we have run as W5RU(@KN5O).

This time of year, WX can be an issue for us.  Fortunately a cold front passed
though our area just prior to the start of the contest, so we had excellent WX
conditions (no thunderstorms to deal with).  Additionally, we didn't have any
computer and/or antenna radio equipment problems, so it was "all
good."

We started off on 20m and 15m and noticed that our 20m performance dropped off
earlier than usual, forcing us to move to 40m and 80m sooner than we have in
the past.  However we were able to put 82 sections in the log after about 6
hours of operation, missing only NL.  By 1AM (when we usually take our first
break), we had nearly 1100 Qs in the log - good but not as good as we have had
in the past.

On Sunday, the rate was substantially down from years past.  We did the best we
could in trying to run, but it was somewhat disappointing.  Conditions are
obviously deteriorating.  All that being said, we were able to work VO1KVT for
our last mult early Sunday morning.  He had a pretty good pileup and managed it
well.  After putting him in the log, we just had to settle down and run as best
we could.

All-in-all, we had a good time and are satisfied with our performance.  We had
lots of food and snacks and a good time was had by all.  Many thanks to Scott
(W5WZ) and his wife Sharon for allowing us to invade their home.

We want to thank everyone for the Qs and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

And, on a very positive note, we noticed large numbers of Checks in the past 2
year.  The new hams ARE getting on the air!

For W5WZ and the LCC members-

Ted KN5O, Mark K5ER, Bobby WM5H, Shawn WA5VQP and Scott, W5WZ