[3830] SS SSB KI9A SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ki9a@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KI9A SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 10:56:46 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KI9A
Operator(s): KI9A
Station: KI9A

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Il
Operating Time (hrs): 6

------------
  160:
   80:   95
   40:  271
   20:   21
   15:   13
   10:
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Unexpected sweep! Thanks to KP2XX and NP4G for getting on after the disasters
there!

Had plans to do 20-24 hours. Began with a solid 2 hrs and 175 q’s, then
noticed aometimes as I keyed, the swr would jump up. Checked all
connections...nothing. Took every cable off, checked with an ohm meter.
Nothing. Put back together, still issues.

Went to dinner, and came back bummed. Got up Sunday, started makimg Q’s, and
happened worse...THEN I remembered I am a service electrician, and have some
cool test equipment in the van. Used a megger to put 1k volts on each cable,
and located the fault.

After that, just played around.

Had a 98 hour @2300z Sunday which was fun, all on a quicky made 40 m ground
plane, with 4 radials about 10’ off the ground. Many stations commented I was
loud, which was wierd, because it performed as well as, and better than my 40 m
loop with the apex @ 50’.

73 Chuck KI9A