[3830] SS SSB KQ2M Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KQ2M Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 03:45:07 +0000
ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:  174
   40:   25
   20:    0
   15:    0
   10:    0
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

After spending 4 wet and frustrating hours in the driving rain Saturday
afternoon to fix my wire 40 meter antennas, I got on briefly to test them.
Spent 30 min making 36 q's.  The 4-square was completely omni-directional for
stateside and directional for DX.  Weird.  I then briefly tried 80. I had
lowered my 80 M 4-square to about 5' above the ground to avoid the ferocious
winds predicted for Sunday, good thing too as the gusts were in the 60 - 70 mph
range and big branches were falling everywhere.

Late Sunday evening, I decided to go down to the shack and try to fix a
computer problem.  While there I decided to turn on the radio and call CQ SS on
80.  No answer.  With the 4 square near the ground I did not expect much.  I
called CQ SS again.  Nothing. Ok, one more time. BOOM!  3 stations.  And then a
BIG pileup!  And then RATE! From 0200 - 0259 I worked 163 stations!  WOW! Best
rate was Last 10 of 264.7 !!  I have NEVER experienced anything like that in SS
from CT!

Even more surprising was having MULTIPLE VE4, VE5 and VE6 stations call in that
raging 80 meter pileup!

I used to love operating in SS but career, family and preparing for DX contests
became greater time priorities for me over the past 20 years and I have not been
on ; but after this really fun experience I will have to put SS back on my
calendar.

Tnx for all the q's and have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!

73
Bob KQ2M

kq2m@kq2m.com

rshohet@rlsfinancialgroup.com